difficult decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc71

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to to med schools both OOS. waiting on a school that i interviewed at locally since september. still have not heard anything. only have one more medical school i could get interviewed at in my state. Really do not want to leave home as I have lots to take care of her with regards to my family. recently moved in with my boyfriend whom I see a great future with, one that would be easier if i stay in state. I am thinking of deferring my OOS acceptances for another year and reapplying in my home state. Dont want to give up on the two schools I have left but it has been nearly three months since my interview. Any advice from my fellow SDNers?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't get to reapply if you defer acceptance.

If you are going to reapply you have to decline the offers of admission (horrible mistake overall and you will have 0 shot at the schools youve been accepted to the 2nd time around).

Members don't see this ad :)
If i got accepted to a DO program can I reapply M.D?
I don't know for sure. I doubt it. There is probably something you have to sign when you defer.

And schools generally only give deferrals for good reasons, and "I don't want to go to your crappy school so I'm going to apply to other ones" probably won't cut the cake

I don't know for sure. I doubt it. There is probably something you have to sign when you defer.

And schools generally only give deferrals for good reasons, and "I don't want to go to your crappy school so I'm going to apply to other ones" probably won't cut the cake
I got accepted to a really good D.O. program. Would rather go M.D. if I have the chance. Deferral would be because i have to take care of a family member right now. definitely have good reasons.

I got accepted to a really good D.O. program. Would rather go M.D. if I have the chance. Deferral would be because i have to take care of a family member right now. definitely have good reasons.
Yeah you'd probably get it, but I highly doubt they will allow you to reapply.

Needing to care for a family member certainly isn't a bad reason. But I think it's worth asking yourself, if you defer DO, apply MD and don't get in, will you be happy going to the DO school you were accepted to? Will your family situation have changed in a year? I'm not even sure if schools would grant you a deferral since, at least from what I've heard, it really depends on the school.

I'm also not sure if it's considered acceptable to apply MD while you're holding a DO spot... I understand your wanting to stay local. But schools take this stuff kinda seriously. Most want to fill up their classes with people who really want to be there.

I wonder if @Goro or @LizzyM have thoughts on this...

If i got accepted to a DO program can I reapply M.D?

You said that you got accepted to two schools. What is the other school? DO or MD?

What are your stats?

My two instate SOMs were the LAST schools that accepted me. Don't necessarily think that your instate schools won't eventually accept you. Some state SOMs seem to drag their feet with admittances. In fact, last year, one of my state's SOMs had some sort of issue and acceptances went out very late (April, I think), even though it's a rolling admissions school.

? What do you mean by saying that you have to take care of your family? Do you have children? Or do you mean your parents, siblings, etc?

What will you be expected to do for them? Will you be living with them?

Do you realize that when you're in med school, you're not going to have much/any time to be taking care of relatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
We need some hard numbers before making any suggestions. If you're a not-outstanding 2.9/503 applicant who was fortunate to get accepted, you should definitely take it. If you were a 3.7/512 applicant with decent EC/LORs and had a good chance of getting into an MD program, I would say reapply - but only because I know very little about you and am basing my suggestion on your statistical, objective chances of receiving an acceptance to an MD school (much less, an acceptance to your in-state schools from which you were already rejected this cycle).

Based on the assumption that you had already applied MD this cycle (few reasons why one would apply to only DO and reapply to MD) and didn't get in, my suggestion is that you work hard in the next 4 years and make your way home for residency.

Reactions: 1 user
We need some hard numbers before making any suggestions. If you're a not-outstanding 2.9/503 applicant who was fortunate to get accepted, you should definitely take it. If you were a 3.7/512 applicant with decent EC/LORs and had a good chance of getting into an MD program, I would say reapply - but only because I know very little about you and am basing my suggestion on your statistical, objective chances of receiving an acceptance to an MD school (much less, an acceptance to your in-state schools from which you were already rejected this cycle).

Based on the assumption that you had already applied MD this cycle (few reasons why one would apply to only DO and reapply to MD) and didn't get in, my suggestion is that you work hard in the next 4 years and make your way home for residency.
I haven't got rejected from any MD instate programs. I'm still waiting on a decision from one I interviewed with.