Ultimeaciax

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
I am in a dilemma in choosing what to do next year.

I am a senior and planning to graduate this semester. I have ~3.3GPA with 12X credits, and I want to improve it through a second science major/postbacc program. So far, these are my options:

1. Stay and get another science major at my current school. This is the cheapest path as my UG is a state school, and I can continue to receive my grants/scholarships.

2. SFSU Formal Post-bacc - Pretty popular/reputable program and relatively inexpensive. Though, the cost of living in San Fran is too expensive. If I go here, I'll need $25k loan (I can get this thru federal loan).

3. Wash U in St. Louis post-bacc - Very reputable school...so, I guess their teaching quality is pretty good as well. I heard the staff and school are super nice and supportive. Relatively new program with a lot of flexibility. Limitless opportunity for research. Tuition can be expensive. I'll be more in debt though.

4. Post-bacc Research Program Education - This kind of program doesn't boost your GPA in anyway, but it can be a resume booster. I can increase my credential for medical school thru this. I've applied to several top-notch research schools. I'll probably apply for an MD/PhD if I go with this route. I love research, by the way.

---------------------
So, those are the four very difficult choices I have to make. Finance is probably one of the top factors. I don't want to be in more debt (I'm in around 25k debt now), because I know that med school is going to be extremely expensive.

I look forward for your input. Thanks

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If you've already taken the pre-reqs, it might be better to take additional upper-level science classes at your UG.

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
If you've already got a lot of science classes, I don't see the value in doing the SFSU postbac which would be retaking the basic stuff. Either way, a new class or a retake gets factored into the same average.

Some other posters mentioned DO will replace your poor previous grade. But it wouldn't matter if you've got a lot of science classes already.

Ultimeaciax

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
USA
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't really need to retake any classes..especially my prereqs. I'm a bio major and I got mostly B's in bio classes so..I already have many sciences courses with mediocre sGPA.

murfettie

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2008
Status
Medical Student
1. Stay and get another science major at my current school. This is the cheapest path as my UG is a state school, and I can continue to receive my grants/scholarships.

Frazier

Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
Have you gone through the calculations of how many credit hours you would have to successfully earn an A in (sans a single B) to improve your GPA when the "~120 credit hrs" range is reached?

If so, swell. If not, be sure you do that before signing up for anything.

I.e. If you took another 30 hours and earned a GPA of 3.7 [A-] during that period, it would only bump your overall GPA to a 3.38 (from a 3.30).

Diminishing returns suck. :(

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
If you have a 28+ on the mcat apply broadly to DO. MD/PHD is more competitive then anything, post-bacc or not without a 3.7+/33+ there is very little chance of getting it. I don't see the problem really if finance is a problem I recommend stronger to apply to DO and get in so that you won't need to lose a year.

gymtanlaundry

Removed
Jan 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Stay at your current school. Be the van wilder guy and live the dream, brah.