Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Difficult Situation - Any Advice Welcome

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by BWG, May 1, 2007.

1. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

#1 BWG, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tough problem, because many will not accept transfers and most that do, as far as I can find, will not accept you into any higher standing than 2nd year (which means repeating 2nd and 3rd year, and then doing 4th).

Caribbean:

St. Georges

St. George's University does not seek, and rarely accepts, advanced standing students. Candidates must write a letter to the Board of Admissions, which will then determine if the candidate will be allowed to apply for admission with advanced standing. Advanced standing is not granted beyond the beginning of the second year.

Ross

Appears to accept transfer students from a "limited" number of medical schools. You would have to contact them for a list, but presumably a US medical school would meet their criteria. No documentation on-line about at what level they would accept you.

St. Mathews

St. Matthew's University School of Medicine only accepts transfer students from medical schools recognized by the World Health Organization. Transfer students undergo the same admissions process as first-time applicants, in that they must submit a complete application packet to ensure a timely review. Acceptance of transfer credits is at the discretion of the University. Students are limited to a maximum of four semesters of transfer credit toward the SMU degree program.

So looks like the earliest you could start would be to redo 3rd year.

Saba

Depending on space availability, consideration is given to applicants from schools listed by the World Health Organization. SABA University does not support M.D. programs that do not reflect a solid foundation of traditional medical education and will not consider coursework completed through a distance learning program. Students with unsatisfactory records or dismissal for any reason from other medical schools are not considered for advanced standing. Acceptance is contingent upon the recommendation of the Admissions Committee and on the basis of space available within the class. Basic science transfer applicants may be accepted to the second or third semester and will not be considered beyond the fourth semester.

Students requesting to transfer directly to the clinical medicine program will stand a better chance of acceptance if they have passed the U.S.M.L.E. Step I with a minimum board score of 200. For licensure purposes, all clinical transfer students must complete a minimum of 30 weeks of rotations (2 semesters) through SABA University.

Transfer students must meet all documentation requirements of a new student and must be in good academic standing. Students applying for transfer must fulfill the same documentation requirements of a new student including:
    An official transcript from the current institution, including undergraduate programs.
    Verification that the student was a registered medical student and coursework was completed on site.
    A statement that the student has met all outstanding financial and academic obligations.

SABA University does not offer advanced standing credit for courses taken in Doctor of Chiropractic, Physician Assistant, Podiatry,Doctor of Dentistry or other allied health professional programs other than coursework completed through an accredited MD institution.

Anyway, I was going to search more schools for you, in other areas of the world, but I got tired. You can check each school's website for information about transfer policies.

Best of luck...

4. sga430

sga430 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Resident [Any Field]
    not sure if this is good advice but perhaps look into west europe. i am guessing they may be regarded higher than the 2nd (ex-commie) and 3rd world med schools.

i would go to all the different country threads and ask around.

also look into D.O. but i guess this is out for u as well.

5. neurodoc

neurodoc Neurologist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I frankly find your story unbelievable. In exactly what "top 40" US med school were you enrolled and booted from after MS III? Sorry to be so blunt, but you sound like a Troll. :(

Nick

6. FoughtFyr

FoughtFyr SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Post Doc
    It can and does happen. A "double failure" of a required clerkship would do it. I don't buy him/ner as a troll. The problem the OP will have is that he/she is NOT seeking a transfer. A transfer is of a student in good standing. They are looking for a new acceptance with advanced standing. That will be a "hard sell". Most would consider themselves lucky to re-enter medical education, yet alone with advanced standing.

To the OP: has or will your school offer you a third try after a period of time has passed? It would seem the easiest (but extremely difficult in it's own right) path would be to appeal for re-entry into your school.

- H

7. neurodoc

neurodoc Neurologist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, I suppose a "double failure" might do it. But OP makes it seem like he (or she) just got into some sort of head-butting interaction with a couple of professors who gave him (or her) a negative course eval.

I'm sympathetic. I certainly had med school clinical teachers that I considered to be royal "alpha hotels," and I got some negative evals from them in MS III. I was not alone. However, this did not result in my getting booted. OP says that the booting school was a "top 40" Med School. I just can't believe that a "Top 40" school would boot one of its students without real good cause (and just getting into a pissing match with a clinical attending is not good enough cause). If this story is true (which I doubt), there is more to it than OP has presented. So either the OP is a flamer, or the OP has misrepresented the facts. Take your pick.

Nick

8. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

#7 BWG, Jun 20, 2007
  9. mjl1717

mjl1717 Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

American University of the Caribbean had decent rank at one time Id check them... The school in Israel may be a thought they do well on the boards..
    ....Mexico will force you to do a 5th pathway.

10. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

#9 BWG, Jun 25, 2007
  11. hotchocolate

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    youre not alone. i am kind of in the same boat as you, except i have just learned that after some similar situation as your happened some committee i met with decided that i should either be dismissed or withdraw and reapply to the school. so far, i have decided not to withdraw, and am taking it to the last and final committee that will hear me out. this talk of caribbean med schools is really scaring me into action though, i will duke it out with the last and final committee. i have come way too far to give in that easily. and there is nothing i see myself in but medical school, and i'd rather stay near my family than go to the tropics.

12. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

#11 BWG, Jul 5, 2007
  13. hotchocolate

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    BWG-have you ever considered getting a lawyer? I posted elsewhere (in the allopathic forum) and was advised to get a lawyer ASAP. Considering that you are out of appeals, or so I think I read from one of your posts, now might be a good time to get an attorney and see if there is anything you can still do to get back into your old school-some part of the school handbook that you missed that would show that they mishandled your situation and wrongfully dismissed you, perhaps. I, for one, am contacting attorneys this week--just for plain old advice and partly in case it helps against the med school administration in some way.

My school just said withdraw and reapply--I didn't really want to hear that at the time, so I didn't ask more about what my chances are at actually being accepted if I reapply. Honestly though, after all this the thought of restarting at my own school is distasteful--I'm sure all administrations are the same, but dealing with an administration and faculty that treated me that way (what I consider to be unfair and unscrupulous) doesn't appeal to me and I'd probably go for a Caribbean med school instead of reapplying to my current school. I know a couple of smart people from my undergrad who are at Carib. med schools and are doing fine in them so far, and I know someone who was from the U.S. but went to an Eastern European med school and is now practicing. So, I don't think I would have anything against a Foreign med school.

I am seriously beginning to wonder what to do if my dismissal is permanent. Have you found any caribbean med schools or DO schools in the US that are open to admitting students who were dismissed, and can give us advanced academic standing? If so, please do let me know, I will do my own research too, but If you've found any good ones....do holla.

14. umza

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    At my medical school, there are both midpoint and final in training evaluations. If there is any doubt that you will not be passing the
    clerkship rotation or intern rotation, you must have had a negative midpoint evaluation. If you were not given notice that your performance is subpar,
    they cannot fail you. Did you have any idea that you were not doing so well?

15. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

#14 BWG, Jul 10, 2007
  16. BWG

BWG BWG
    10+ Year Member

#15 BWG, Jul 10, 2007
  17. BWG

BWG BWG