Difficult situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpmee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been here on a while and finally decided to post as I have no other good guidance in my life. I will try to keep this as short as possible.
Freshman Year BCPM grades: A, A, B+, B-, C+, C+ with B+/A- Labs
I didn't try, the rigor of my university and college in general (heck, work in general) bit me in the butt big time.
Earlier this year, my grandma passed away. Having never dealt with close family death before, it hit me hard and I started the year off with a C- in my BCPM class. This hit me pretty hard.
I haven't been able to bounce back since, but didn't take any science classes until this quarter.

I'm kind of behind in my college now and need to take summer classes. I know there's no where to go but up, but it's pretty depressing seeing people who have positive trends or good grades consistently. I hate that I have to give up valuable summer time to sit in classrooms for 4+ hours a day. I hate how much money I'm costing myself by my major f-up.

So questions:
  1. Has anyone on here had a sub-3.0 GPA their freshman/sophomore and bounced back?
  2. Should I stay behind and do something more meaningful this summer (that's free/I get paid for)?
  3. What should I do from now on?
Sorry for the panicky post. I go to a school with 97% overachievers. It's depressing even looking at their achievements and underachieving is so new to me.

Members don't see this ad.

First off I am really sorry for what you are going through. I never had a sub 3.0 but close (3.13 at one point). My biggest advice is to take summer off. I know it is tempting to jump back into classes because you aren't doing well and want to bring up your gpa asap but I found taking a full summer off really helped out. I would try to find a job or volunteer gig that takes up enough of your time to keep your mind occupied off the situation. I personally did three jobs when I went through something similar (but that is just me)

So basically:
1. You can do it, just breathe
2. Skip out on classes this summer, you can always make up the classes a different time and delay graduation by a semester or two.
3. Take time. It's okay to re-evaluate yourself or seek guidance from a mental health professional if need be it.

Lastly, don't compare yourself to others. You don't know their situation and you don't know yours. There will always be someone better than you and that's okay, all you can do is be the best you can.

I hope I helped!

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of people

1. Has anyone on here had a sub-3.0 GPA their freshman/sophomore and bounced back?
Do something that you'll like.
  1. Should I stay behind and do something more meaningful this summer (that's free/I get paid for)?
Get counseling stat. develop better coping skills.
  1. What should I do from now on?
The only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself.

Sorry for the panicky post. I go to a school with 97% overachievers. It's depressing even looking at their achievements and underachieving is so new to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what it takes to get your head back in the game.
You do that, the slow start can be easily overcome.
You don't do that, the rest won't matter.

I had a sub 3.0 gpa! I bounced back, and I'll be matriculating this fall. I failed ochem twice, (well, one for each level) during freshman and soph year, but I had an upwards trajectory. I went to Cal, so it was hard, I got lost, surrounded by overachievers, etc etc etc.

Over everything else, take care of yourself. Losing your Grandma was hard, just heal from that. Next, sit down, figure out how you learn. Do it well. Work hard, show that you can bounce back. I ended up with a 3.7 cgpa and a 3.25 bcpm.

You can do it!

Reactions: 1 user