Aug 29, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Hello all,

I'm a bit concerned as I know some clinical sites for various programs do not allow students with a misdemeanor to participate. I have two separate charges due to to public intoxication and open container misdemeanors from years ago during my early college years. I'm posting in this forum as I'm looking for advice from current PTs who have heard of or experienced what it is like to go through the hiring process with a misdemeanor on your record.

Thank you,

Hopeful DPT

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2014
Status (Visible)
Just to add, I'm not trying to qualify my mistakes. They were certainly dumb and I clearly expressed that when applying to programs. I do think that our legal system is flawed in that an alcohol charge can haunt you for rest of your life.

Aug 3, 2013
Status (Visible)
Random thought which may not lead anywhere: you could get in contact with your state PT board and try to find someone who could give you some specific advice.

I remember a presentation during our first year from the lead investigator of the state board. He had one story after another of people who made a variety of mistakes and committed a range of crimes. Some were able to continue practicing, some were not. I got the impression that this guy had seen a lot of things, and whoever fills a similar role in your state might be able to give you some good insight into your obstacles.

But these are obstacles and not dead ends. I hope you aren't blocked from the profession because you got caught doing things that most everyone does when they're young. That doesn't seem right.

---------------

PS: don't have sex with your patients. That was my main takeaway from the state board investigator's presentation.

About the Ads
Aug 29, 2014
Status (Visible)
Thank you for the input, it's nice to be able to gain some insight and vent a little bit. Yeah, I've done some research and it seems like it is generally not a deal breaker overall for most states.

Last edited:

NewDPT31

7+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. DPT / OTD
if you couldn't practice for having intoxication/open container misdemeanors, there would be a lot less PTs. The state boards will differ, but don't drink and drive. Don't have any assault or battery charges, and don't have sex with minors or patients.

Always be up front about them if asked, but they are misdemeanors.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads