Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Difficulty in scheduling early 4th year ER rotations

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by UHSDOMBA, Apr 8, 2004.

1. UHSDOMBA

UHSDOMBA Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey peeps,
    How's everyone doing? I just need some advice on how to schedule 4th year ER rotations at competitive places in Cali for instance. Most medical schools reserve their spots for their own students first. I cannot start applying for these electives until June of this year. Besides crossing my fingers and being patient, is there any way I can get early confirmation for these ER electives? PS I really want to go to USC. Thanks!!

:horns:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Seaglass

Seaglass Quantum Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Find an attending at your place that knows an attending at the place you want to go. Ask them to make a call. That's should get you ahead of the game. Just keep in mind that you better work your ass off if you go there or you'll have an unhappy attending.

C

4. normalforce

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Calvin is that you?

Normalforce

5. basementbeastie

basementbeastie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

contact USC, they were one of the few calif programs that seem to schedule fourth year electives earlier than most.....have fun, it is a wild place....

6. UHSDOMBA

UHSDOMBA Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the tips. Now one more question: since I am planning on going into ER, does it matter where I do my 4th year non-ER rotations? For my fourth year, I am planning on staying with my brother in Long Beach. There's a small hospital (130 beds) there that offers many 4th year rotations. I plan on doing like 5 rotations there. Is that too many? I am going to do: Radiology, Urology, Orthopedics, FP, ICU. Do I need to do these at those big "brand name" instutions? I am trying to maintain a budget but do not want to sacrifice the quality of education. (I am over 200k in the hole.) :eek: Please let me know what you all think! :clap: