Difficulty of classes and how they're viewed by adcoms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember in high school, AP classes were viewed as "better" by admissions officers; does the same rule apply to classes in college and how they're viewed by adcoms? In freshman year, I only stuck to 100 level (the lowest level) mostly because all the premed prerequisite courses were intro level and I wanted to get myself settled into college before diving into advanced classes. Now, going forward, I'm trying to take higher level classes but there are still some 100 level courses (such as intro psych, physics, etc) that will be sprinkled among my advanced courses. Do you believe this is alright in terms of how they're viewed by adcoms or is it better to take all the easier level classes first and then take all the advanced classes later, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember in high school, AP classes were viewed as "better" by admissions officers; does the same rule apply to classes in college and how they're viewed by adcoms? In freshman year, I only stuck to 100 level (the lowest level) mostly because all the premed prerequisite courses were intro level and I wanted to get myself settled into college before diving into advanced classes. Now, going forward, I'm trying to take higher level classes but there are still some 100 level courses (such as intro psych, physics, etc) that will be sprinkled among my advanced courses. Do you believe this is alright in terms of how they're viewed by adcoms or is it better to take all the easier level classes first and then take all the advanced classes later, etc?

Either option is fine. Adcoms know that universities have general education requirements that in many cases will be completed throughout an applicants time at a university. The important thing is to do well in your classes.