Difficulty of DAT after years out of college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpd27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am about 3 years out of undergrad (read: especially concerned about being 6 years out of gen chem, 5 years out of orgo) where I majored in pre-vet. I'm currently obtaining my masters in marine biology, but I've recently started to feel that I won't be able to practice medicine the way I want to with the path I've set up for myself, and so I've started to look in the direction of dental school.

Seeing what the DATs entailed, I became somewhat worried due to the fact that I did not do well in organic chem in undergrad (C's both semesters, though A in lab), so I've started sitting in on an undergrad orgo class at my university. Just the first two lectures have me very overwhelmed, and I'm wondering what the chances are that I could do well on the DATs being this rusty. I had high scores on the GRE when I took it ~2 years ago, but I'm not sure how predictive that is of DAT scores.

Any advice on taking the DATs at this point or simply on changing direction toward dental school given my background would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

oh and destroyer. I was in the same place as you. When I first looked at my old notes it made my head spin. But Chad is great and the questions from his quizzes, destroyer and BC is ALL you need.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was 5 years out of undergrad when I took the exam, you can absolutely do well despite being rusty. I think it makes your content review a lot more critical (and difficult) than it is for most students, but if you buckle down it won't be a problem.

Reactions: 1 users
I took it a few years after undergrad and did fine. You'll do well if you put in the time and use good resources.

I took it about a decade after undergrad. It is doable if you have enough time to prepare. I agree with rockskipper and amgraves that Mike and Chad's is the way to go to relearn Ochem. After you watch both you can go to YouTube and follow along the Organic Chemistry Final Review classes. There is also the Organic Chemistry Tutor on YouTube that is helpful. Destroyer and Bootcamp will tie it all together at the end.

Reactions: 1 user