Difficulty of getting a scribe job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swolesoul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently on some waitlists but am preparing to reapply. I think my clinical hours were the biggest weakness on my app this year so I want to find a scribe job for this next year. My wife and I want to move to Houston as she will make almost 20k more as a teacher in Texas. I have an opportunity for a scribe job here in my home state. I would rather move to Texas to make more money, pay off debt, and show Texas schools I'm serious about living in Texas. I don't want to pass on this job, end up moving down there and not be able to get another scribe job as the experience is more important to me than the money. The scribe companies have zero presence in my home state so I don't know much about them. Is it difficult to get a job through one of the big companies?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the circumstances (job openings, hospital locations, experience, etc..). But Here's a list of all major companies down there:
Questcare Doc Assist
Scribe Connect
Elite Medical Scribes
Physassist Scribes
Scribe America
Medical Scribe Systems

This is just an opinion, but definitely move. Experience can be gained anywhere. Plus, This is your wife's career vs temporary, low waged job.

Reactions: 1 users
Move with your wife; that's a no-brainer. There will be opportunities in Houston, and Texas is the best state to apply from.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are moving to texas be sure to consider how long you need to live there to be considered a resident in front of adcom

When I was in Houston Physassist Scribes was basically giving jobs to any pre-med who wanted to scribe. But that was a few years ago before scribing became so popular. It's probably more competitive now.

You had to do like 2 months of training where they paid you like $8 an hour. Then when you started to work they bumped you up to $11 an hour.

A couple of people said the training was difficult to do while going to school full time and ended up not doing it.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently working with Physassist and yhe turn over rate is really high meaning there will always be opening. I don't think you will have problem getting a scribe job in Houston.

It depends on the circumstances (job openings, hospital locations, experience, etc..). But Here's a list of all major companies down there:
Questcare Doc Assist
Scribe Connect
Elite Medical Scribes
Physassist Scribes
Scribe America
Medical Scribe Systems

This is just an opinion, but definitely move. Experience can be gained anywhere. Plus, This is your wife's career vs temporary, low waged job.

FYI, medical scribe systems was bought out by Scribe America last year

You will have no problems finding a scribe job in Texas. But I'd try finding another entry level healthcare position (esp if you'll be in Houston AKA The Medical Center), cause anything will pay more than scribing in Texas (for a scribing company at least). Literally McDonalds pays more.

Reactions: 1 users
You will have no problems finding a scribe job in Texas. But I'd try finding another entry level healthcare position (esp if you'll be in Houston AKA The Medical Center), cause anything will pay more than scribing in Texas (for a scribing company at least). Literally McDonalds pays more.
Like what? Most of what I have seen requires some sort of certification that takes at least a few months. I want to be able to show the experience I'm gaining on my app and still turn it in semi early. Even if it's just training I can say I work for X scribe company. But yeah if I can get some equally good experience I would. I don't have my heart set on scribing specifically.

ScribeAmerica doesn't need a certification. Just a 2-3 week training, then a probationary period, then you're set.

Another entry level position that pays better in my area is a "roomer." I believe the official title is medical tech assistant or something like that. All it requires is being able to take simple vitals and room the patients, and you make ~15/hr starting. In this area that is much much greater than the starting wages of a scribe (through a company, not direct hire), and you receive on the job training to boot. I would look into medical research assistant positions (might require some cold calling style of emailing if youre in a new area), or even just hospital volunteering while finding a job in a field applying to your degree to earn some $$$.

Like what? Most of what I have seen requires some sort of certification that takes at least a few months. I want to be able to show the experience I'm gaining on my app and still turn it in semi early. Even if it's just training I can say I work for X scribe company. But yeah if I can get some equally good experience I would. I don't have my heart set on scribing specifically.
I would try looking through a big hospital system's career website, like Methodist or Baptist. There are hundreds and hundreds of positions available in major Texas cities, mostly RN & MA spots, but there are positions available that don't require any certifications or graduate / professional degrees. It'll take some digging, but they are there!
Don't get me wrong, scribing is a truly fun and wonderful experience, but companies know it's paid shadowing and...will pay you the least amount possible.

" and show Texas schools I'm serious about living in Texas. "

Does this matter? Im from TX but I went OOS for college. I'm on the same boat looking for gap year stuff but idk about moving back in with the fam again in TX lol

" and show Texas schools I'm serious about living in Texas. "

Does this matter? Im from TX but I went OOS for college. I'm on the same boat looking for gap year stuff but idk about moving back in with the fam again in TX lol
Well at the interviews each school said multiple times their mission is to train doctors to treat the people of Texas. I just want to show a stronger connection than "hey your schools are cheap let me in so I can hurry and get back to my home state." I think just being from Texas is enough