Difficulty of Kaplan Diagnostic Exam??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoeKing

Determined Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I have taken the AAMC 4 (28), and some gold standard practice tests (between 28 and 33). Recently I took the Kaplan online diagnostic, I kinda rushed through it because I felt like I was just going to be pitched with a "pay for the prep course to see your score!" type of deal. Anyhow I only scored a 24. I was wondering if the Kaplan diagnostic exam was designed to be more difficult, perhaps to make one inclined to take their courses?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I have taken the AAMC 4 (28), and some gold standard practice tests (between 28 and 33). Recently I took the Kaplan online diagnostic, I kinda rushed through it because I felt like I was just going to be pitched with a "pay for the prep course to see your score!" type of deal. Anyhow I only scored a 24. I was wondering if the Kaplan diagnostic exam was designed to be more difficult, perhaps to make one inclined to take their courses?

I would think Kaplan's diagnostic would be harder based on their "Higher Score Guarantee" but I've never seen nor taken the test myself.

I took it a month ago, I got a 16 and I really tried my hardest. It was certainly very very difficult. Since then my score has nearly doubled. Don't worry....

Members don't see this ad :)
it is more difficult cause they have the higher score guarantee but they also cover more topics on the test since it is a diagnostic...i took the kaplan diagnostic a few months back, scored a 20 and freaked out so I took one of the aamc tests right after and got a 24. not a huge improvement but the level of difficulty was definitely different!

I decided to sign up for one of their courses so I took the diagnostic aswell. I scored a 22 and am confident my diagnostic is not an accurate prediction of my performance on the real thing.

Granted, It had been four years since I last saw some of those subjects, so I was not too concerned about my low score in PS. I asked my instructor about VR and he said it's definitely tougher than on the actual MCAT.

Not sure if you're talking about the same thing, but I didn't think the Kaplan Diagnostic was really hard. If anything, the BS was very on point with the experiment-based passages and PS was great practice. We all know Kaplan VR sucks so whatever, just another VR lol.

I have been scoring around that score on my other practice tests (only TPR and AAMC 3 to date).

Kaplan%20MCAT%20Results.png

Interesting cuz im in the 30s for gold standard which are known to be tough. And got a 22 on Kaplan diagnostic, although I was sick when I took it so that prolly didnt help

Interesting cuz im in the 30s for gold standard which are known to be tough. And got a 22 on Kaplan diagnostic, although I was sick when I took it so that prolly didnt help

Your AAMC scores and average are what counts. Everything else is just for consideration purposes only.

i've been taking the gold standard tests between aamc and kaplan tests cause someone recommended them to me and said they were tough...however I don't think they're as tough as kaplan's tests and a little bit tougher than the aamc ones. I've been getting 10s and 11s on the gold standard, and 9s on the aamcs. Also, I've noticed there are a lot of vaguely worded questions/answers on the gold standard tests so I've stopped using them

For sure I just got a 29 on the Princeton review free test so that's a testament to the Kaplan difficulty