Difficulty of MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a dumb question, but how difficult is the MCAT? For those who have taken it already, would you say that it was the hardest exam you've ever taken?

I'm still about a year and a half away from even taking it, but I'm already starting to freak out. Also, does anyone know what the average score is? I know that the average for matriculants is around 30, but what about for everyone that takes it.

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I have heard.

In order to get 32 +/-2 you have to be in the top 20% of your class! Are you in the top 20@ of your class? If you are you will get 30 if not you won't!

sekem said:

In order to get 32 +/-2 you have to be in the top 20% of your class! Are you in the top 20@ of your class? If you are you will get 30 if not you won't!

I believe that I am, but there really aren't that many premeds at my university. Now, if you mean am I in the top 20% of all premeds nationwide, I highly doubt it.

The national average is approx. 8 per section for a total of 24. Look at the AAMC's website to see the total breakdown. (aamc.org/mcat)
That whole deal about you need to be in the top 1/5th of your class is a crock. I was nowhere near there. Don't pay attention to others and where their grades are - they have no bearing on how well you'll do on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, the mcat is only hard because of the time restraint, but the question arent too bad if you get enough practice exams in. Oh, and I'm with Jebus on that crock about top 20 percent of the class. I was no where near the top 20 percent and I know plenty of people who score really high on the mcats without being in the top 50 percents.

bbas said:
This is a dumb question, but how difficult is the MCAT?

Hmm....I'd say medium. Not the easiest, but not the hardest either; it is doable...just different.

I know that the average for matriculants is around 30, but what about for everyone that takes it.

"only the Sith deal in absolutes"

no really....people are making up stuff and feeding it to you ;) MCAT test-taking doesn't necessarily correlate with classroom motivation/performance.

bbas said:
This is a dumb question, but how difficult is the MCAT? For those who have taken it already, would you say that it was the hardest exam you've ever taken?

No. You got to wrap your brain around this concept: thinking test, not memorization test.

Practice the concepts, then practice the tests to see where you need work, rinse, repeat, and do just fine on the MCAT. Be like Fonzie, be cool and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

bbas said:

I'm still about a year and a half away from even taking it, but I'm already starting to freak out. Also, does anyone know what the average score is? I know that the average for matriculants is around 30, but what about for everyone that takes it.
1) No, my qualifying exam to get into PhD candidacy was much harder. Among standardized admissions exams, yes, the MCAT was the hardest. (I'm comparing it to the GRE, SAT, and ACT, which are the only other standardized exams I've taken.)

2) The average MCAT score for all test-takers is approximately a 24. The averages on SDN are heavily skewed toward the top 25% of test-takers (scores of 30+). To put the numbers in perspective: a score of 30 puts you in the top quartile of all test-takers, a score of 33-34 puts you in the top decile, and a score of 38+ puts you in the top 1%. These data are all available on the AAMC website at www.aamc.org (click on the MCAT link).

3) Don't freak out. The MCAT is challenging, but it is doable if you approach it with a sensible study plan and solid preparation in your pre-medical curriculum. Right now, you should be concentrating on earning all As and Bs in your pre-req courses. Most people study for the MCAT anywhere from 3-6 months before taking the exam. If you're a traditional student (in college now), 3 months is probably sufficient, assuming that you've done well in your pre-medical coursework. Students who have been out of school for a while or who did not do well in their pre-reqs may need to study a couple of months longer so that they can brush up on their basic science knowledge.

I think the MCAT is probably the test that has given me the most stress just because it's such a big factor in med school admissions. Even with the SAT or ACT for college admissions, there is a large range of "acceptable scores," but for med school, there are so many qualified applicants that the MCAT is much more important.

As for difficulty, it just takes time to get it done.

bbas said:

It's Cheesecake if you know your basics. That's pretty much it. Know your basics and be semi-smart. Oh and be able to read and write good.

sekem said:

That's pretty durn untrue. I second the hope that you're joking.

Your academic performance does not provide a perfect correlation to your MCAT score.

nmnrraven said:
It's Cheesecake if you know your basics. That's pretty much it. Know your basics and be semi-smart. Oh and be able to read and write good.

I know my basics and didn't find it easy. The MCAT is probably the hardest entrance exam out there. I can see other licensing exams being harder (i.e. Bar, COMLEX, USMLE, etc).

GRE subject tests are also harder. The chemsitry subject GRE was just obscene.

HunterGatherer said:
Perhaps this is a joke.

It's very untrue.

I was definitely in the bottom half of my class and I got a 30 without studying... standardized test taking skill has nothing to do with how good your grades are, although it might be slightly correlated.