Difficulty of MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

macinici

I don't plan to take or even look at an MCAt book for a couple of years, but I'm simply curious regarding....

You always hear people state that the MCAT is hell, you have to study for months, etc. I always wondered whether the difficulty of it comes from the fact that the actual problems are beyond difficult or that it's just so much scientific matrial condensed into a couple of hours that people need lots of time to study the material to remeber all of it and remeber it well?

i'm off to enjoy my undergraduate years.

Members don't see this ad.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much material. Honestly. It's 8+ courses crammed into one exam. Taking genetics, molec bio, anatomy, & physiology doesn't hurt either.

It's not as long as it used to be, I took it a few weeks ago. Started at 8am, finished by 12:30, rockin!

The questions can be rough. The passages are frequently about technical things way in left field that you've never even HEARD of before. You have to be able to pull it together and apply what you know to new situations/examples.

Tips?
Try not to freak out. Everything will be okay, it's just one test.
Pay attention in undergrad for goodness sakes! You gotta have the foundation.
Put in your time. You aren't gonna breeze through this sucker unless you are a genius. Start studying a few months out, several hours a day, 4-5 days a week. More or less depending on how good your base is, how you did on practice tests, how much higher you want to get, and how much time you have in an already hectic pre-med schedule. :D

It's rough, but you can do it. We all have to do it, don't forget that part.

Peace

Judging by the attitude seen in some more anxious/uptight posts here, saying that is like waving a huge, fresh-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookie over a kindergartener's head.

Oh, and ask me again in April about the test.

I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't plan to take or even look at an MCAt book for a couple of years, but I'm simply curious regarding....

You always hear people state that the MCAT is hell, you have to study for months, etc. I always wondered whether the difficulty of it comes from the fact that the actual problems are beyond difficult or that it's just so much scientific matrial condensed into a couple of hours that people need lots of time to study the material to remeber all of it and remeber it well?

It's not so much difficult as it is tricky in the sense that you need to read quickly and apply very basic knowledge of the sciences to a new situation under timed conditions while avoiding misunderstanding the point of the question. It's nothing that solid preparation won't solve. It's more psychological than anything and, if you think the worst, it won't go well.

Both. Plan on putting in lots and lots of studying to adequately prep for it. Since you are still early in your UG I'd try and set up a plan for studying about 6 months prior to your exam your junior year.

The amount of material is overwhelming. Most people can't even look beyond the fact that it's two semesters each of physics, general chem, organic chem, bio, and then you still have verbal reasoning and writing. It's just a WHOLE STINKING ton of crap to stuff into your brain.

But oh wait, just knowing the content isn't enough. It's about synthesizing the content with new information and using your critical thinking skills to apply to new situations. If you're lucky you recognize the content of the science passages, if you're not, you have you content skills but still it feels like being up a creek without a paddle.

That being said, though, it's doable. And people do well on the MCAT all the time. It's just a matter of having a good mindset and working hard.

I have a tip for the OP.

Since you are at the beginning, try to learn and understand the material and not just memorize.

Also, this is key. After you have taken a class that is MCAT specific, stay up on the material by reviewing your notes, etc.

I helped tutor people in Org Chem and it has helped me stay current.