Difficulty of post-match into AEGD and GPR programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rm3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In general how competitive is it to land a post-match spot with an AEGD or GPR program? Does a candidate usually have to be in the upper 50-75% of a class with good board scores to have a chance or can any dental graduate usually get in if they are not picky on the program?

Members don't see this ad.

rm3 said:
In general how competitive is it to land a post-match spot with an AEGD or GPR program? Does a candidate usually have to be in the upper 50-75% of a class with good board scores to have a chance or can any dental graduate usually get in if they are not picky on the program?

Depends on the program, but if you aren't picky, there are lots of programs open for post-match (something like 200+ spots as I recall).

Matching isn't too difficult either, especially if you aren't picky.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be picky...
You would not work for castle dental for 10 bucks and hour. That pretty much sums up a few of the some programs out there.

You don't have to be in the upper half of your class to do an AEGD. Just balance your application. If you are application is weak in one area, try to balance it with strength in another.

rm3 said:

where are all the post match gpr positions ? Can anyone view them on the match site? If there is a list on student doctor network can you paste a link to it?

The entire list is on another board here... many good programs... and all programs want to fill positions... so try... they look at you, what you did not only the grades..

here is what i posted there:

After the match, a list of open spots are released for students in the match can see open residency positions and another list is for the programs to see which students are still available.

Every year there are alot lof openings on both sides...
often the students list only their dream positions and the programs list only the top students... then the computers go to it and every one is shocked... also years ago some reports of computer error(that was fixed)

One of the reasons we are not in the match - we want to blend our program from different schools, we want to take some students who can really benefit fro an extra year of training.. the match did not allow that, so we are not in the match and accept students like a branching tree... we take one..if they say yes we continue along the yes line.. if they say no... we go down the branch that says no.... it most of the time gives us a group that become close friends and work together great(some times we are wrong... no one is perfect)

The match was created to "take pressure" off of students, but they still is cheating and contracts signed before the match... and then the post match rush...

All the programs listed have benefits... you will learn more, some great locations, some great teachers.... all have some problems - limited pros, bad locations, limited special experience.... every program changes each year to improve... improve instruction, improve patient care, etc... but the residents may feel its more work or "make work".

You get out of a program what you put in. The more time spend, work done the more you will learn for future years

While I looked at the list and spoke to my wife and said if we had to do it again and I was graduating now.... many of the programs would be on the top of the list because of location, because of the teaching staff(many are great mentors - I was shocked to see they did not fill - I would love to exchange ideas with them at their program or mine), because what I know of the programs(but as a site visitor I can not say), and because what I know of the program last year, even this year may change for next year....

BEST - speak to the current residents, speak to the program staff,
ask what if anything will change.

and GOOD LUCK - many good programs there.

Floss said:
where did you get these listings? seems like there are an awful lot of unfilled positions in NY.

Can you suggest or do you know of the best programs in the Phoenix, Arizona area.

thanks

All the programs are listed on the other thread.. some are in Arizonia.