• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Diffraction

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2003
New Jersey
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
hi everyone,

i was reading about diffraction of light...I just got lost when they started talking about the single slit and double slit experiments, grating and thin films and they brought a lot of equations...

we did not cover intereference and diffraction in my general physics class...so how much should I do concentrate on this stuff?

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It's definitely worth knowing. If you can understand Young's double slit experiment, the single slit should be easy to grasp. If you have never learned the stuff, you might want to read through a physics textbook... but I would think that any MCAT review materials would suffice.

About the Ads

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I read about this a few years before taking physics from reading some "quantum physics for dummies" type books. It isn't a very difficult idea to grasp really. Really it just demostrates by interference pattens and by firing single photons, that light behaves as both a wave and a particle.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.