Technology Digital Pictures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbernar1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just bought a digital camera and I am trying to e-mail several pictures to my friends but the pictures are ~1MB. Can anyone tell me how to make them small enough to e-mail several pictures at once?

Members don't see this ad.

With my digital camera (HP) I have an option in the HP Director software that came with the camera: email pictures. After i check this box, it asks if I want the pictures made smaller... in this way I can email 7 or 8 pictures with no problem, even for folks on dial-up connection.

I've already made the mistake of downloading them to my computer and now I want to e-mail them. Any advice for this situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any photo editing software? You should have some from somewhere, either that came with your camera or if you have a photo printer, or really lots of other places. Then all you have to do is save the pics as a smaller size or lower resolution.

Hi

Why don't you try Picasa from Google ? It's free and catalogs your whole album, with the option to e-mail pictures with smaller sizes. www.picasa.com

lf

jbernar1 said:
I just bought a digital camera and I am trying to e-mail several pictures to my friends but the pictures are ~1MB. Can anyone tell me how to make them small enough to e-mail several pictures at once?

A photoediting program such as Adobe Elements or the full featured Photoshop can "downsize" your picture to a more comfortable size. Once you open the 'raw' image with Photoshop, you can save it in various formats. Most compression schemes will 'lose' some data and depending upon the subject matter, it might not matter too much.

Saving to a JPEG format with Photoshop is not terribly involved.

Richard

Pianoman said:
Hi there
There is a good windows power toy that does this really easily
Download "image resizer" from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Then you can just right click any photo or group of photos and resize it to a file size appropriate for emailing

:cool:

one thing about the windows resizer for xp is that the quality of the output stinks. donwload irfanview from www.irfanview.com and install it. Open up the desired image, click IMAGE-->RESIZE/RESAMPLE-->SELECT 640X480 on the right colum --> select RESAMPLE. and resample it. then click FILE-->SAVE and select JPG and select quality 85%.