digital watch usage on the MCAT: slight chirp = beeping?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cerulean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering about digital watch usage on the MCAT. I know watches that beep are prohibited. However, I'm wondering if my watch would be considered a beeping watch (and thus prohibited) or not. The button I press in order to start and stop the stopwatch function causes a slight 'chirp' to be emitted. I don't really need to hit it to stop it at the end of every section (could wait until breaks to stop it and reset it), but I'd need to hit the button at every start of a section. It is not a loud or very noticable noise, and thus I don't consider it the same as a stopwatch that beeps obnoxiously and repeatedly. However, I don't want to risk it and have the possibility of encountering problems with using it on Aug 19.

Any suggestions? Should I spend the time to look for and buy a wholly non-sound-emitting digital watch? Should I just train myself to use my current watch without resetting it to zero at each section (start it and run it continuously and having to do mental math during every section to figure out how much time I have)? Should I get used to using an analog watch?

Members don't see this ad.

i heard digital watches are not allowed all together...

i had the exact same question! if they allow wristwatches, are we ok then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly the single greatest thing I have gotten out of Kaplan thus far is how to 'neuter' a digital watch so that it doesn't emit any sound. Simply remove the back of your watch with a screwdriver or however it opens (insert disclaimer here), and put some scotch-tape over the leads, which may be coils or just bent metal. May not work for all watches, but it worked for the $5.99 one I got off Amazon.

if i heard your watch chirp during mcat i would make sure you did not make it back for verbal :)

there was a chick right behind me that had a "chirping" watch and it seriously annoyed the crap out of me. You'll probably get away with it--but when you start it try to cover the watch to smother the sound. I used a normal watch and it was fine--I plan to use a normal watch again in 2 weeks. I just set it to noon at the start of each section--not very precise but if you don't have timing issues it works fine.

I've heard of another thing you could do that *may* avoid chirping. Can you set the time of your watch without it beeping? If so, then set your clock for 12:00 at the beginning of each section. So, if a section is 85 mins long, then it's over at 1:25, etc.

Depends how loud the chirp is. I had to write a timed test where no beeping watches were allowed.

All i did was clear my throat while pressing the button under the table. After the test, i asked the girl next to me if she could hear it and she said no.

Foolins said:
All i did was clear my throat while pressing the button under the table. After the test, i asked the girl next to me if she could hear it and she said no.

lol

cerulean said:
I'm just wondering about digital watch usage on the MCAT. I know watches that beep are prohibited. However, I'm wondering if my watch would be considered a beeping watch (and thus prohibited) or not. The button I press in order to start and stop the stopwatch function causes a slight 'chirp' to be emitted. I don't really need to hit it to stop it at the end of every section (could wait until breaks to stop it and reset it), but I'd need to hit the button at every start of a section. It is not a loud or very noticable noise, and thus I don't consider it the same as a stopwatch that beeps obnoxiously and repeatedly. However, I don't want to risk it and have the possibility of encountering problems with using it on Aug 19.

Any suggestions? Should I spend the time to look for and buy a wholly non-sound-emitting digital watch? Should I just train myself to use my current watch without resetting it to zero at each section (start it and run it continuously and having to do mental math during every section to figure out how much time I have)? Should I get used to using an analog watch?

I heard like 5 chirps at my test site in April and no one said anything (including the proctors). So assuming that your test site will be like mine, and you dont want to ruin your watch by doing the 'neutering' thing everyone is talking about, then go ahead. Just make sure it doesn't beep a whole bunch after some countdown or everyone will kill you.