Feb 11, 2011
Status
Dental Student
So I was initially accepted to 3 schools on Dec 2nd. Roseman, UMinn and UDM. Based on Cost and clinical experience, I chose UDM over Uminn ( ~50K cheaper for me to go to UDM ). I am also accepted to Upitt now. I'm debating between UDM and Pittsburgh. Some people that are aware of UDM’s program are telling me its a "no brainier" to go to UDM , but I need to look at it from a much more critical approach imo. Everything I know about the UDM clinic is based on a 96 ppl class, now that the class is 144 I have no clue what will happen in terms of management, fitting everybody in, having requiremnts done on time etc. These are my thoughts, so please comments on any of the below. I wana hear what you THINK.

Factors to consider (imo):

Cost/rate of increasing cost:

UDM will be around 20K more expensive than Upitt over 4 yrs. This is with everything included.

Clinical education:

UDM has been known for great clinical experience. I have talked to some UDM D3’s and they have said great things about the school ( class of 96 people ), but as I said I am not sure how this will turn out for a class of 144. That being said, I am sure UDM will have enough patients.

To be honest, I do not know much about the clinics at Upitt. I mean I spent ½ a day there and everybody looked happy but I had heard that Upitt tends to struggle with having enough patients? Is that true? Upitt has every specialty and more than 50% of its class actually specializes as well. ( 25 % of these r GPR…. You think is this because they don’t feel ready upon graduation??) Research is big at Upitt.

Faculty and Facilities:

Well obviously both schools kicked butt in this area. Both had great pre clinic labs. Anybody can elaborate on this more ?

Area:

Well, this is kinda easier to figure out. Pitt>Detroit.

Um, I am not sure here to be honest ( as a Canadian doesn't know much about this).

Boards:

I am positive both schools have super high pass rates, but as a Canadian it wont make much difference to me as I will be writing both American and Canadian boards! Canadian boards use plastic teeth (unlike real humans/patients) I remember hearing that the head of the pre clinic told us they will make us work on plastic and real teeth as one of the regional US boards uses plastic teeth ? Please let me know if this info is accurate……

So, to be honest I love both schools. In the meanwhile, I am gona try to get a hold of some UPitt students to see what the clinic is like.
Based on what I wrote and future comments, WHERE would you go ??
Thank you
MAdental

Nov 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
Just to make things interesting for you, I give my vote to Pitt.

One thing I didn't like about Pitt is that they don't record the lectures where every other school I went to did.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdye
OP
MAdental
Feb 11, 2011
Status
Dental Student
Just to make things interesting for you, I give my vote to Pitt.

One thing I didn't like about Pitt is that they don't record the lectures where every other school I went to did.
Thanks Okilito ! You mind mentioning why Pitt though ? I am trying really hard to reason it out :)

OP
MAdental
Feb 11, 2011
Status
Dental Student
I'd go with Pitt if it's cheaper and in a better neighborhood. Also, If 50% of Pitt's class actually specializes and you want to specialize that's what would probably be the deciding factor if it were me.
Pitt is cheaper and in a better neighbourhood!

Nov 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Status
Dental Student
Thanks Okilito ! You mind mentioning why Pitt though ? I am trying really hard to reason it out :)
It's just my opinion based on my personal circumstances. I liked UDM but Detroit wasn't a place where I wanted to take my family given the other options I had.
Not sure what your interests are but Pitt has a great anesthesiology department which is very rare for dental schools. You can take electives in anesthesiology dept which would be a great plus especially if you are interested in pedo. Clinically, you will get as much as you put in and, in my opinion, this is true for every school. Good luck with your decision.

OP
MAdental
Feb 11, 2011
Status
Dental Student
It's just my opinion based on my personal circumstances. I liked UDM but Detroit wasn't a place where I wanted to take my family given the other options I had.
Not sure what your interests are but Pitt has a great anesthesiology department which is very rare for dental schools. You can take electives in anesthesiology dept which would be a great plus especially if you are interested in pedo. Clinically, you will get as much as you put in and, in my opinion, this is true for every school. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks Okilito ! My only concern about UPitt is the patient population. Have you heard anything regarding that ? The one student I got to talk to at UPitt was not too happy, and thats 1/79 students so.... Thanks for replying !

Oct 22, 2012
Massachusetts
I'm not Pitt student, but I have been around Pitt neighborhood, it's crowded and I feel like patient population is not going to be a problem at all.

Jun 3, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm just curious (turned down Pitt interview already) but how did you get 20k cheaper for pitt compared to UDM? I thought tuition for Pitt is a bit higher and cost of living in Pennsylvania will be higher compared to Detroit.

OP
MAdental
Feb 11, 2011
Status
Dental Student
Pitts estimates a whooping 21K/yr for personal expenses. Realistically I will be spending 15-17K a yr on expenses. So if I compare everything cost related with no bias , I will be saving ~20K/4yrs if I go to Pitt ( their tuition is a tad cheaper than Detroit too)
Detroit sounds cheap but if you want to live in a safe area, close to school with decent amenities you will be paying 1k for a 1 bedroom with everything, so the living costs are almost identical for both. @Bottle , thanks for your input. I need to get more opinions like yours on patient population. I wish I could get some info from Pitt students.

Oct 22, 2012
Massachusetts
I'm just curious (turned down Pitt interview already) but how did you get 20k cheaper for pitt compared to UDM? I thought tuition for Pitt is a bit higher and cost of living in Pennsylvania will be higher compared to Detroit.
Pittsburgh is actually cheap. You can get downtown apartment for $400. I don't recommend it though.

Luna724

5+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2013
TX
Status
Dentist
Pittsburgh is actually cheap. You can get downtown apartment for $400. I don't recommend it though.
My first glance through the downtown didn't leave me with a favorable impression. But then again, it was only a 5 minute bus ride through the downtown on the way to my hotel.