Dilemma: Helping a friend that got waitlisted at a school I was accepted at?

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2002
Atl and soon to be OKC
Status
So I am very fortunate that I was accepted to Drexel the other day, but I dont plan on going because I have been accepted to my state school, Oklahoma. One of my good friends was waitlisted at Drexel, and he is a little bummed out from this entire process since he has only had a couple of interviews which have all resulted in waitlists and a few flat out rejections (he has a good gpa and great mcat score). I knew that I would not go to Drexel if I was accepted to OU, even before going to the interview, I just went to the Drexel to visit Philly for the 1st time. I was planning on writing a letter to Drexel saying that I am going to decline the acceptnace, and I was thinkinig about mentioning my friends name in the letter (and just talk about how he would love to attend drexel)? Now do you think that would hurt him, or would you even advise doing such a thing? I dont want to hurt his chances on the waitlist, and I dont want them to think negatively of him or me. At the same time, i feel that it could be beneficial since im speaking so highly of him. I understand maybe his interview didnt go as well as mine, or there are reasons he got put on the waitlist, but I just wish he got the acceptance instead of me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks.

vhawk

2K Member
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Seriously....dont do that. I am not an Adcom member, or an expert by any means, but this just seems like a horrible idea. Think of every sitcom where the guy's mom writes a letter recommending him or petitions leniency or something, and think how pathetic that looks. You are trying to be a good friend, but this cannot POSSIBLY help, and can definitely potentially hurt.

Vomitonme

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2004
media.twomd.ohio-state.edu
Status
Yeah, I forsee way too many things going wrong if you try to write the letter. Tell him to just be aggressive in telling the school that he wants to be there (letters and calls).

Besides I don't think the recommendation of a student who has yet to even start medical school would carry too much weight. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, even though it sounds that way, but I doubt an ad-com member would take any of us too seriously with recommednations on students.

Freakingzooming

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2002
Visit site
Status
I concur. Nothing could piss off an admissions committee more than if you turn down their acceptance and then try to tell them what to do with the acceptance.

support your buddy by getting him a beer and getting his mind off of his application for awhile.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, don't do it. It will not help your friend. Do withdraw, though, if you aren't planning on attending. It's a way of indirectly helping your friend!

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
definately. if he's waitlisted, he has to show some enthusiasm for the school. maybe write a letter of intent. that would be a great idea for him. but for you to mention something doesn't sit well with the adcom... I think all of SDN knows what to say here :)

superdevil

planning my escape
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2003
always in the last place i look
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
its a noble idea, but if your friend wants to go to drexel, he will have to do the legwork, not you.

enjoy OU Med.

sd

japhy

Ski Bum
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 8, 1999
Alta, Ut
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING ON HIS BEHALF. :thumbdown:

No offense, but what credentials do you have that would make a damn bit of difference to the adcom? If anything, that is a surefire way to make sure he gets dinged immediately.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
Definitely don't associate yourself with him. Rejection probably won't make Drexel love you.

However, if you timed it so they got his well written letter of intent in the same pile they got your letter declining admission - that couldn't hurt. Timing is everything, they say.

Supernova

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2004
CA
Status
you are over-estimating that you have any influence for your friend's future course.

iwannabeadr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Status
Please don't do that. I think if you do, Drexel will simply reject him since they will see this as your friend probably asking you to do this for him. Good luck to your friend.

dopaminophile

nerd extraordinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
Write the letter. Adcoms aren't so petty as to punish your friend for your rejection of them. If you're worried about it, write the letter for your friend, wait a week, then write your withdrawal letter. That way, you can use the credential you have (they think you're great) for your friend's benefit without compromising it. I really don't think adcoms care in most cases if you reject them. There might be exceptions, like one member really going to bat for you, but I can't imagine they would care. That's just part of the process.

Be nice, write your friend the letter. Or screw him over and accuse him of cheating so that some SDNers on the waitlist move up a spot. *powpowpow rattattatatat kaboom* I hear the guns a firin'.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
iwannabeadr said:
Please don't do that. I think if you do, Drexel will simply reject him since they will see this as your friend probably asking you to do this for him. Good luck to your friend.
I agree with those who say its a bad idea. It can't help him -- adcoms simply don't want character letters from friends -- and could certainly hurt him. Definitely looks to Drexel like your friend put you up to it, which puts him in a bad light -- not able to speak for himself. Just withdraw, tell your friend to write his own letter of interest, and let the waitlist process run its course.