Dilemma in GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do?

• Keep the B

Votes: 17 94.4%
  • Change to Pass

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

_theartery_

Reaction score
Sorry for bothering you guys because I know you have seen tons of thread like this. I also did read most of them, but I still couldn’t decide on what to do. So, I make a B in General Physics 1, which is honestly not a bad grade considering my professor has being strict about online learning. I did try my best, but I still cannot achieve the A. Since this is a 4 credits class, this single B going to bring my GPA down to a 3.79. Well there would be nothing to worry if I am not an engineering major. I have ask many engineering students at my school and their gpa range from 3.0-3.5, and I think this range of gpa would be too low to get into mid/tier med schools. My dream is to go to Baylor (OOS), and their average gpa of incoming students freaks me out (3.9). I have ask students and professors from both sides, but apparently I am still undecided. If I take my B, I cannot guarantee for at least a 3.8 later on. If I change it, med schools would think it’s a C. What should I do in this situation?
Thank you so much for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

So this depends on a few things
- how many science credits have you done at the moment (are you freshman?) if you're just a freshman or sophomore with very few completed science classes, it makes sense to take the B, because you have plenty of time to raise the science GPA, which fluctuates a lot early on
- how strong are you as a student? are your university classes difficult to achieve A's in in general? If you know you are a good student and courses are usually fair in difficulty, it makes sense to take the B

This is more of a personal decision for you. But in general B's impress much better than a pass.

Reactions: 1 user
So this depends on a few things
- how many science credits have you done at the moment (are you freshman?) if you're just a freshman or sophomore with very few completed science classes, it makes sense to take the B, because you have plenty of time to raise the science GPA, which fluctuates a lot early on
- how strong are you as a student? are your university classes difficult to achieve A's in in general? If you know you are a good student and courses are usually fair in difficulty, it makes sense to take the B

This is more of a personal decision for you. But in general B's impress much better than a pass.

I'm currently a freshman, and after this semester, I have completed:
_ General Biology (1&2)
_Biol Lab (1&2)
-General Chem (1&2)
_General Physics 1
I don't know if math counts as science or not, but I also did finish calc 1 and calc 2. I made all A so far, and this is my first B.

I consider myself as a decent student honestly. I'm not to smart compare to my engineering classmates, but I always work hard since the beginning like going to tutor, office hour, and study groups.

As for my university, science courses seem hard, but it is doable for As. Engineering and math on the other hands, are complicated. For example, the next engineering class that I am about to take has a 50% pass rate, and people pass with a low C as the professor gave a small curve . I also never heard of anyone makes A in that class, and it is going to get worse by junior year. That’s why I am trying to save my B for upper levels of engineering course.

Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a freshman, and after this semester, I have completed:
_ General Biology (1&2)
_Biol Lab (1&2)
-General Chem (1&2)
_General Physics 1
I don't know if math counts as science or not, but I also did finish calc 1 and calc 2. I made all A so far, and this is my first B.

I consider myself as a decent student honestly. I'm not to smart compare to my engineering classmates, but I always work hard since the beginning like going to tutor, office hour, and study groups.

As for my university, science courses seem hard, but it is doable for As. Engineering and math on the other hands, are complicated. For example, the next engineering class that I am about to take has a 50% pass rate, and people pass with a low C as the professor gave a small curve . I also never heard of anyone makes A in that class, and it is going to get worse by junior year. That’s why I am trying to save my B for upper levels of engineering course.

Thanks for the input!

Is engineering a passion? Decide now whether or not you're a pre-med or an engineering student. If engineering classes are definitely going to give your GPA a punt in the rear, don't do engineering classes.

A general physics 1 class is integral for a premed's transcript. A P really isn't going to look very good.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree wholeheartedly with Hazle that you may want to consider a non-engineering major if you really want to be a doctor. Although it is a tough call, I would take the B understanding that i) a B isn’t a terrible grade, ii) you have time to raise your GPA, and iii) a P in a physics prerequisite may be viewed as a negative.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for bothering you guys because I know you have seen tons of thread like this. I also did read most of them, but I still couldn’t decide on what to do. So, I make a B in General Physics 1, which is honestly not a bad grade considering my professor has being strict about online learning. I did try my best, but I still cannot achieve the A. Since this is a 4 credits class, this single B going to bring my GPA down to a 3.79. Well there would be nothing to worry if I am not an engineering major. I have ask many engineering students at my school and their gpa range from 3.0-3.5, and I think this range of gpa would be too low to get into mid/tier med schools. My dream is to go to Baylor (OOS), and their average gpa of incoming students freaks me out (3.9). I have ask students and professors from both sides, but apparently I am still undecided. If I take my B, I cannot guarantee for at least a 3.8 later on. If I change it, med schools would think it’s a C. What should I do in this situation?

Engineering is known for its low GPAs. While I always advocate doing something you love, engineering and CS has traditionally low GPAs that aren't problems because those fields care more about internships than letters on your transcript. If you want to get into med school, especially a place like Baylor, perhaps reconsider if engineering is worth it.

That being said, if you don't get into med school, what do you want to be stuck doing? If its engineering, then go for it.

I love medicine since high school, and I am lucky enough to got a 3 months internship at my local hospital’s PICU and a bit of shadow experience. That's make me interested in medicine. Honestly, I never thought I would be an engineer as I choose this major because of my parents. However, I grow to love this community so much since I always feels include and be myself, which is not what get from the science community at my school. They are still nice though, but I just don't feel comfortable compare when I was with my engineering community. If I could not go to medical schools, then I definitely want to be an engineer. In fact, it is my dream to become a doctor-engineer now. I already know that it going to be a harder path, and I am willing to work hard for this dream.

If it is not because of this pandemic, I am pretty sure that I could make an A in physics this semester . Do you guys think med schools would let me explain the pass?

I still leaning on keeping the B, but the other choice just seems like a safer one .

Thank you so much, I'll try to make my decision and updates you guys asap.

It's just one class. You'll be fine. Take the B