Dilemma: LOR from Research PI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dotdotdot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All. I was wondering if if not submitting a LOR from your research PI is frowned upon, given that you wrote about research in your personal statement. I've been in a lab for 1.5 years, no publications. I started with assisting the grad students with their projects, and this quarter I finally got my own project going and is getting credit for my work. I've asked my PI for a letter, but I don't think it would be a glowing letter because she asked to see my experimental results before writing one so she could have more substance to work with, even though she said it's okay if I needed it earlier. Problem is, I won't get any presentable results until early June, if at all, which would delay my secondary application, assuming that I give my PI a month to write it.

ps: I also wrote about research in my personal statement.

Right now I have 5 LORS in line:
2 science
2 non-science
1 chief MD from work

Should I wait till I finish with my experiments to get the LOR? Or get it now? Or...I'm debating whether to get my PI's letter at all. Any thoughts?:(:(

Members don't see this ad.

This is sort of a tricky case - a lot of it depends on why you don't have any data yet. If the experiments have failed/needed troubleshooting/just not enough time for results, but you're working hard and trying to fix it, I'd still get a letter from the PI as she'll be able to talk about your determination and persistence. Getting a letter from her is especially important if you've had a lot of interaction with her (assuming the interactions were positive).

However, if the lack of results is due to not putting in as much time in the lab as you could have I'd pass on the letter. If your other letters are very strong you may not need one (I'm not sure that the letter from the chief MD will help that much unless you have a strong relationship with them); I *think* that HMS is the only medical school the requires letters from all PI's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't applied myself, but i was in a similar frustrating situation 6 months ago of not getting results. I was lucky enough one night when a PCR covering 3 months of work actually gave good results.
If the experiment hadn't worked out I still would have asked my PI for the letter, I think it would be odd if you didn't get one after that long in their lab.
I would ask to talk them if I where you about both your motivations for pursuing med schools and go over a protocol of what you plan to do in order to get your results.
There is no guarantee that your experiment will work by this summer so why wait, just sound really optimistic about your plan of action and your PI will have faith in you and probably write you a good letter.

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason why I don't have results yet is because I started my own independent project this quarter in April. The experimental procedure takes at least three months before completion. Prior to this project, I mostly helped out the grad students with their projects.

I'm guessing having presentable results would give me PI more 'stuff' to talk about in the letter. The grad student told me that she has been telling the PI good things about me. But perhaps the PI felt like she needed more 'concrete examples' to include in the letter. She did say though that if I needed the letter before having results, it's ok as well.

I'm not not sure if I should take it as a hint that it's not gonna be as good of a letter. What would you guys do if you were me? Get it now, wait till June (my PI is extremely busy; can't guarantee how long the letting writing takes)? Or just forgo this letter...... I felt like I've contributed to the lab, but she was just never there to see it.

I'm not not sure if I should take it as a hint that it's not gonna be as good of a letter. What would you guys do if you were me? Get it now, wait till June (my PI is extremely busy; can't guarantee how long the letting writing takes)? Or just forgo this letter...... I felt like I've contributed to the lab, but she was just never there to see it.

I wouldn't take it that way. How much interaction do you have with your PI on a regular basis, and how much does she know about your project? It might just be that she has heard great things about you and wants to write a good letter for you, but doesn't know enough concrete detail to make it sound convincing.

If you don't have results yet, that's totally fine like your PI said. Just make a short concise outline of 2 things. 1.) major contributions you've made for the grad students you worked with. 2.) what you've done for your project so far, and a concrete but brief plan on how you're going to complete it. Just make it brief and don't make the little mundane tasks you might be doing sound more important than it needs to be. A PI should be able to determine how much effort it takes to do X and Y. Let her know that getting your apps in early is of utmost importance to you, and though you wish you could have results for her before she writes it, you need that letter before that's possible. shouldn't be a biggie.

I was in a similar situation, and waited until 2 months before the deadline to have my PI submit my letter, but then there's 0 advantage in submitting your apps early for vet school (other than for your sanity). :p