Dilemma Regarding Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Heem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted to my first choice and am planning on matriculating to that school. In the terms of acceptance, it states that I need to pass a background check and that any discrepancies between my application and the check could jeopardize my acceptance (after a chance to explain myself). I was given a written arrest for drinking underage in college, but there was nowhere on the primary or secondary application to list it that applied.

They ran the check almost a month ago and have not contacted me about it yet. I want to withdraw all of my other acceptances/waitlists, especially now that May 15th is about upon us, but I'm afraid that this will somehow lose my acceptance and then I'd be SOL at all the other schools too. Am I being paranoid and should just withdraw these applications or should I still hold onto these other acceptances (some of which did require me to disclose my arrest already, so obviously know about it)? I'm sure I could just call the school and ask if I "passed" the background check, but it just seems like an extremely awkward phone call.

Members don't see this ad.

It is awkward, indeed. Call and squirm or don't call and squirm more? Seems like a pretty obvious choice to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Just ask them. I've had to call about background checks for employment before. Sometimes people drop the ball. You don't have to ask if you passed. Just ask when you can expect to hear because of the May 15 deadline. If you didn't pass they will tell you. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the student portal for the certiphi website from the link you were sent, you had the option to view the student report for 10 days after the report was run. Did you view your report?

On the student portal for the certiphi website from the link you were sent, you had the option to view the student report for 10 days after the report was run. Did you view your report?

Yes, I'm quite sure that the incident is on my report. My question is whether or not it would be something that the school would (or even could) rescind my acceptance for. Perhaps one of the resident adcoms could shed some light on the situation? @gyngyn @LizzyM

I'd find it out of the ordinary for someone who lose an acceptance over underage drinking....

Did you fight the arrest in court? What was the disposition of the case? Why didn't you report it on your applications?

Reactions: 1 users
I'd find it out of the ordinary for someone who lose an acceptance over underage drinking....

Did you fight the arrest in court? What was the disposition of the case? Why didn't you report it on your applications?

I did not fight the charge... I was given deferred prosecution, so essentially the charges were dropped (after payment of a fine and no further arrests within a year). AMCAS specifically says not to disclose deferred prosecutions, and the secondary only asked about felonies.

Thanks for your help.

I've had to call about background checks for employment before.
5ce12.jpg

I think you should call and ask something like: hey I want to know if my conditional acceptance is official yet. Also, please let us know how it goes. There are many other ppl on this forum that have similar issues.

Thanks

Reactions: 2 users
You are probably fine. If there was a deferred prosecution or some type of 1st time offender program, then you didn't receive a conviction for your actions. AMCAS simply makes you disclose convicted misdemeanors and convicted felonies -- things that could potentially inhibit your ability to get your license to practice medicine.

Also, what do you mean you are "quite sure it was on the report"? Either it was or it wasnt. You should have been able to see if it was completed. I know I was a little freaked out because my background check took 5 weeks to complete, not the 3-5 days that certiphi says, but I called and they worked out the details.

The only reason they would rescind your acceptance is if you were not honest with them about your legal history and they found out. For instance, if you received IA and didn't report it, then they might not look too favorably at you. But if you have no convictions/IA and you said you had no convictions/IA, then you are good.

Hey @Got Heem, how did it go? Did everything turn out in your favor?

Although I figured I was fine thanks to LizzyM's comments, I decided to call anyways to ease my own neuroticism. I just asked if anything was still pending, and the admissions assistant said the background check still was... so I'm basically in the same exact position as before, haha. Still haven't heard anything about it, but I did withdraw all my other applications.

Also, what do you mean you are "quite sure it was on the report"? Either it was or it wasnt. You should have been able to see if it was completed. I know I was a little freaked out because my background check took 5 weeks to complete, not the 3-5 days that certiphi says, but I called and they worked out the details.

I mean I looked at the report and it was on it, which makes me very sure that it's there.

Thanks for the update. Wish you the best of luck! Are you in the Bay Area? Me too :)

Thanks for the update. Wish you the best of luck! Are you in the Bay Area? Me too :)

Unfortunately, no. Just a big fan of Brian Wilson and his comedic work. Best of luck to you as well.