Dilemma - Retaking a 34?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mejorization

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the 8/19 MCAT and got a 34Q (9VR/13PS/12BS). I am thinking about retaking the exam, since I had been scoring much higher on AAMCs. (Average =~ 38). I foolishly signed up for an 8am exam though I know I'm not an early bird and felt completely out of my element during the exam, especially during the VR section, even though I had done much of my practice exams at 8am. Definitely taking a 1pm administration if I decide to retake.

Now I know the general consensus on SDN is that I should not retake such a solid score, even if it's unbalanced. But I really feel cheated out of a great score, as 34 is lower than ANY practice exam I had taken; the 9VR is particularly worrying. Since I have no idea exactly what I want to do with my MD at this point, I really don't want a poor MCAT score to close the door on acceptance to a better medical school, and thus the specialties I'll be able to go into.

Another point that a professor mentioned to me is that since my score is already 2 points higher than the average MCAT score at my state school (UNC-SOM), retaking a 34 might give the adcoms the impression that I'm uninterested in attending the state school, independent of whether I do better or worse. This adds an extra dimension to my dilemma. Do you guys think the adcoms operate by this logic? If so, I would essentially be killing my chances at the school most likely to accept me in order to boost my chances of acceptance at a higher tier medical school, which would be *****ic.

What do you guys think? Should I retake? I know it's a risky move but I know I can do better on this damned exam!

Edit: Here's some more info:
cGPA: 3.93, sGPA=3.89
I have a good amount of volunteering, research, clinical experience, etc. I attend UNC Chapel Hill.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the 8/19 MCAT and got a 34Q (9VR/13PS/12BS). I am thinking about retaking the exam, since I had been scoring much higher on AAMCs. (Average =~ 38). I foolishly signed up for an 8am exam though I know I'm not an early bird and felt completely out of my element during the exam, especially during the VR section, even though I had done much of my practice exams at 8am. Definitely taking a 1pm administration if I decide to retake.

Now I know the general consensus on SDN is that I should not retake such a solid score, even if it's unbalanced. But I really feel cheated out of a great score, as 34 is lower than ANY practice exam I had taken; the 9VR is particularly worrying. Since I have no idea exactly what I want to do with my MD at this point, I really don't want a poor MCAT score to close the door on acceptance to a better medical school, and thus the specialties I'll be able to go into.

Another point that a professor mentioned to me is that since my score is already 2 points higher than the average MCAT score at my state school (UNC-SOM), retaking a 34 might give the adcoms the impression that I'm uninterested in attending the state school, independent of whether I do better or worse. This adds an extra dimension to my dilemma. Do you guys think the adcoms operate by this logic? If so, I would essentially be killing my chances at the school most likely to accept me in order to boost my chances of acceptance at a higher tier medical school, which would be *****ic.

What do you guys think? Should I retake? I know it's a risky move but I know I can do better on this damned exam!

No. You're a idiot for even thinking you should retake that score.

I have a good amount of volunteering, research, clinical experience, etc. I attend UNC Chapel Hill.

No... don't retake. It's WAY too risky. The average of my later practice tests was around 37 and I dropped 7-8 points for my real score. Count your blessings and apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt your current stats will hold you back for invites at higher tier schools. As long as you have a good reason to explain as to why you retook a 34 when medical schools ask you (which they will- esp state schools), then go ahead.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort. The 34 won't hold you back, especially with your GPA.

Even if you get a 38, it won't really help you get into med school vs a 34. So yeah, if you retake, you're an idiot.

Big risk, no reward.

34 or 38 won't make a big difference as far as acceptance goes, having other goods stats like you do.
Don't worry now about residency choices! that'll mostly be determined by you step I,rotations and letters of rec! what are you trying to prove?

Not worth the effort. You have a great GPA and seems like solid extracurriculars. You shouldn't have any problems getting some interviews at some top schools. Also, if you do decide to retake, I highly doubt your state school would follow that logic. They may ask why you retook with a good score, but you have a solid reason. But yeah, I wouldn't retake.

Retake. There is a HUGE difference between a 34 and a 38. The masses here will say they are the same. They aren't. The median MCAT for matriculants is a 33. Which basically means that a 33/34 is AVERAGE for people who get in. A 37 is the median at a lot of schools. Moreover, Lord Jeebus who is a moderator here and currently a resident in Anaesthesia, recommend a kid who was unhappy with his 35 to retake because from his experience as an AD Comm at at UC San Diego that a 38 got noticed.

In closing, the difference in scoring between a 34 and a 38 is not large. However, the difference between how the scores are viewed is large. Ignore those who say it's the same. It's not. Work on verbal and KNOW everything cold. Do not assume that you know anything. This is why people often do worse on the retake. Study and take it in January and you'll be good to go next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
was it your first shot? a 34 on your first shot looks incredibly impressive. do not touch that! even a retake, and you hit a 37...not a big deal. you want to become a doctor, not a mcat *****.

really don't want a poor MCAT score to close the door on acceptance to a better medical school

On second thought, if you really do think this way...retake. Just because a school is ranked #1 (largely in terms of mcat average) doesn't mean it's better. But if you're trained to think this way, do retake as you will not be able to live with yourself.

I realize a higher ranking doesn't mean a med school is better and that other factors should play a role in your decision to enroll in a med school. But what if I ended up deciding that a top rated medical school was the best fit for me? My MCAT score could become a hurdle to gaining acceptance to such a school.

Think about it this way. If your real MCAT score was lower than EVERY SINGLE ONE of your scores on practice tests, and as a result of that, you were not accepted into your dream school, wouldn't you feel some regret for not retaking?

was it your first shot? a 34 on your first shot looks incredibly impressive. do not touch that! even a retake, and you hit a 37...not a big deal. you want to become a doctor, not a mcat *****.

On second thought, if you really do think this way...retake. Just because a school is ranked #1 (largely in terms of mcat average) doesn't mean it's better. But if you're trained to think this way, do retake as you will not be able to live with yourself.

I took the 8/19 exam as well and scored a 38. My average score for 15 practice tests was 38 so basically I was performing the same as you. I also never dipped below a 36 and if I had gotten a 34, I would definitely retake - simply because I know I could do better. (and remember that the 8/19 exam was ****ing hard, so a 34 is a very respectable score).

Your stats show you are a bright guy (saying through clenched teeth... I go to Duke :p) and based of what you are saying, you would probably score higher if you took it again. The only problem with this is that you would have to wait until January, which means that you have to keep the material fresh until then. But if you take the next exam and steady your nerves you should definitely hit your practice.

You don't want to regret anything later on and if a few months of hard work could possibly keep you from that, then by all means go for it.

Retake. There is a HUGE difference between a 34 and a 38. The masses here will say they are the same. They aren't. The median MCAT for matriculants is a 33. Which basically means that a 33/34 is AVERAGE for people who get in. A 37 is the median at a lot of schools. Moreover, Lord Jeebus who is a moderator here and currently a resident in Anaesthesia, recommend a kid who was unhappy with his 35 to retake because from his experience as an AD Comm at at UC San Diego that a 38 got noticed.

In closing, the difference in scoring between a 34 and a 38 is not large. However, the difference between how the scores are viewed is large. Ignore those who say it's the same. It's not. Work on verbal and KNOW everything cold. Do not assume that you know anything. This is why people often do worse on the retake. Study and take it in January and you'll be good to go next year.

not sure if srs

the average/median is around 30 - 31 at most schools. A 37 is extremely competitive at just about every school, not the "median" like you mentioned.

If the OP is dead-set on an extremely top tier school (eg Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc etc), then I guess nothing will stop you from retaking. I know kids who got into JHMS with a 34, 3.4 gpa. Someone in my current grad program turned down an offer from Columbia with a 35/3.2. So you definitely don't need a 38. At the top tier, it's far more than a numbers game. Your ECs/LORs matter much more because just about everyone applying has top game numbers.

Let me just put it to you this way: a 34 is not going to keep you out of a top tier school (for whatever that means....). If you don't get in one of such schools, something else in your application is lacking. Don't blame your MCAT score.

Retake. There is a HUGE difference between a 34 and a 38. The masses here will say they are the same. They aren't. The median MCAT for matriculants is a 33. Which basically means that a 33/34 is AVERAGE for people who get in.

I think you need to take a stats course. You're making a lot of assumptions with little to no basis.

Lol, a 34 is a 'poor score'? A 34/3.93 will hinder your future options? The idiocy of such 'intelligent' people on these boards can be overwhelmingly dumbfounding at times.

If you can't hack it with that, it's you,not your scores.

I think you need to take a stats course. You're making a lot of assumptions with little to no basis.

LOL been wondering why nobody else was calling him for this..
No offense JohnnyBravo, but you should make it a habit of quoting actual statistics rather than pulling numbers out of thin air.

LOL been wondering why nobody else was calling him for this..
No offense JohnnyBravo, but you should make it a habit of quoting actual statistics rather than pulling numbers out of thin air.

I restate what I originally said.

New statement as follows:

Need stats course, stat!

Don't retake if you're applying for MD-only admissions. I scored a 34 as well, 10 VR, 11 PS, and 13 BS, and I have a 4.00 cGPA and sGPA. My adviser who is a former dean of admissions at my state's medical school said that statistics like ours won't keep us out of most top tiers. Except maybe Uchicago or WashU, which are really numbers heavy. Our numbers should pull in interviews provided the rest of the application is solid. Once you have an interview you are within striking distance of an acceptance.

At this point you have and I have both proven we are academically qualified applicants, what it will come down to now is activities, the PS, the interview, and our fit at particular schools.

Although n=1, I know someone that was accepted to Hopkins with a 32 and 3.9 GPA. She interviewed well and the rest of her application was solid.

Bottom line: Don't retake, you scored in the 91st percentile and have a GPA above the average at every school. You have like a 90% chance of acceptance based on sector 9's graph.

Last edited:

Check your data average is 31.2 nationally.

Check your data average is 31.2 nationally.

I check my gut for facts in these kinds of situations.

See also:

calvin-thesis.jpg

If I were an adcom and saw a kid retake a 34 and got a 38, I would not be impressed.

In fact, I would probably be questioning your judgement skills and your gunnerish attitude. Would I want a classmate who thought getting around the 90th percentile on the MCAT was not enough? I wouldn't deep-six for you for this, but this firmly goes in the negative column.

If I were an adcom and saw a kid retake a 34 and got a 38, I would not be impressed.

In fact, I would probably be questioning your judgement skills and your gunnerish attitude. Would I want a classmate who thought getting around the 90th percentile on the MCAT was not enough? I wouldn't deep-six for you for this, but this firmly goes in the negative column.

That pretty much sums it up.

Wow, I was obviously alluding to the top 10-15 schools. Seriously, his post was aimed at top schools. I have an old MSAR. Northwestern, Stanford, Harvard, UPenn, Columbia, had median MCAt's of 37. I was shocked too.

I just bought the online one and it states that Columbia is 36 and Baylor is 35. The problem is that they simply added the median scores for each individual section. Which is nice and simple, but you really need to take the median for the composite score. So, looking at the top schools, they all hover at 35 or 36. I have a hunch, as does the brilliant RapplixGmed, that the composite median is closer to 37 if you just looked at all the numbers. I will give more data later.

Finally, a 32 or 33 puts you at the bottom 10th percentile at nearly all of the top schools whereas a 39 puts you at the 90th percentile. A 34 is basically still bottom 25 percentile at both Baylor and Columbia.

I should have been more descripitive but the data clearly shows that a 34 and 38 is generally the difference between a 25th percentile score at a school like Columbia and a 80- 85th percentile.

A voice of dissent from a former adcom member -

I would retake if it is not hard to coordinate.

Worst case scenario for you is probably a loss of a couple of points. This may weaken you slightly at some schools but should have zero impact at many of them.

A reasonable best case scenario is score improvement to 38 with a better writing score, given that you were doing better on practice exams. Are you using Kaplan methods for this section? If so, stop it (I used to work for Kaplan and their WS strategy is crap) and write normal essays. I know from experience that at least some medical schools look at the WS (and at least one CA school weights it heavily). In my experience, a 38 improves your odds significantly compared to a 35, especially since your ECs are average at best for "top 10" and CA matriculants. It will also enhance your potential for scholarships at "lower ranked" medical schools.

I think the potential gains outweigh potential losses.

Read this and weep. My main issue was that if he wants to be competetive at top schools then there is a huge difference between a 34 and a 38. It's just that since for most people a 33 or 34 is their max score, they feel insulted seeing individuals retake. Now, you'll say that is only one adcom. However, in looking at the results of numerous MD Aps and following the pre-Allo threads, some things are noticed, mainly that a 37+ is a huge asset. It hurts those with 33-34 that a mere 3 points makes a huge difference but it does.

The aformentioned poster got a 268 on Step 1 and is extremely smart and helpful. His post confirmed a hunch I had had for a few years. You will get into med school. However, if you want a school like UPenn, Columbia, or Wash U then yes a 34 is not good enough.

Last edited:
I restate what I originally said.

New statement as follows:

Need stats course, stat!

Did you see what time I made that post? I was tired and ready to go to bed when I saw it. In hindsight, I should have chosen my words more carefully. By a lot, I meant the top schools.

JHop 36
Baylor 35
Columbia 36
Case 35
Duke 37
Harvard 36
Emory 35
Sinai 36
Northwestern 36
stanford 35
Vandy 36
Cornell 36
Yale 37
Wash U 38

MSAR online 2012-2013

I highly doubt that Harvard has a lower median than Yale. I think Yale and Duke are on point. The median at top schools is likely a 13 PS 13 PS and 11 verbal. Numerous people on SDN, far more intelligent than me have ALSO felt this to be the case . I'm gone this weekend, but I'll go search through some data and old posts for more support.

Finally, If you don't think there is a difference between applying with an MCAT below the 50th percentile at these schools and one at 80th percentile then I don't know what to tell you. Lord Jeebus' post gives me vindication.

In closing, the MCAT isn't everything. However, it is plays a large role.

Last edited:
With all due respect to Lord Jeebus, I still think it's an extremely foolish idea to retake that score. He is one former adcom member offering a different opinion from probably the vast majority. Ask the advice of other adcom members here or talk to the schools you might be interested in.

And also, if we look at the acceptance rate data for his GPA/MCAT, trying to get a 38 on the MCAT would only increase his acceptance rate by <4%!! That sort of gain is extremely negligible in the scheme of things. And the risk is enormous--while OP may think he or she might do better, he also may do significantly worse. As an MCAT teacher, I have personally witnessed scores of students who have consistently got high marks on the official AAMCs practice tests but scored significantly less on the real deal. OP may feel he got cheated from a great score, but in reality, it could have been MUCH MUCH worse.

And as far as top schools go, it's foolish to concentrate your efforts on the most selective schools. Aiming for the top schools at the risk of getting a low MCAT score is extremely careless. Successful applicants cast wide nets at a range of schools. Your goal should not be Harvard or bust... and if it is, may God help you.

Johnny is about right. After you've been getting 38's, you feel quite disappointed with a 34.

And yes, the MEAN for all matriculants is about 31, but the MEDIAN is probably higher. If you look in the MSAR, the median score for most schools is higher than the mean scores reported on their websites/AAMC tables. This suggests that the distribution of MCAT scores among matriculants is skewed, such that there are outlier applicants with significantly lower scores who still get accepted.

My problem is that I want a shot at my state school as well. UNC-SOM is a great school. I have absolutely nothing against attending it. If retaking is really such a negative thing in the eyes of UNC adcoms, then I would definitely think twice about doing so.

Read this and weep. My main issue was that if he wants to be competetive at top schools then there is a huge difference between a 34 and a 38. It's just that since for most people a 33 or 34 is their max score, they feel insulted seeing individuals retake. Now, you'll say that is only one adcom. However, in looking at the results of numerous MD Aps and following the pre-Allo threads, some things are noticed, mainly that a 37+ is a huge asset. It hurts those with 33-34 that a mere 3 points makes a huge difference but it does.

The aformentioned poster got a 268 on Step 1 and is extremely smart and helpful. His post confirmed a hunch I had had for a few years. You will get into med school. However, if you want a school like UPenn, Columbia, or Wash U then yes a 34 is not good enough.

Johnny is about right. After you've been getting 38's, you feel quite disappointed with a 34.

And yes, the MEAN for all matriculants is about 31, but the MEDIAN is probably higher. If you look in the MSAR, the median score for most schools is higher than the mean scores reported on their websites/AAMC tables. This suggests that the distribution of MCAT scores among matriculants is skewed, such that there are outlier applicants with significantly lower scores who still get accepted.

than just shut up and retake.

With all due respect to Lord Jeebus, I still think it's an extremely foolish idea to retake that score. He is one former adcom member offering a different opinion from probably the vast majority. Ask the advice of other adcom members here or talk to the schools you might be interested in.

And also, if we look at the acceptance rate data for his GPA/MCAT, trying to get a 38 on the MCAT would only increase his acceptance rate by <4%!! That sort of gain is extremely negligible in the scheme of things. And the risk is enormous--while OP may think he or she might do better, he also may do significantly worse. As an MCAT teacher, I have personally witnessed scores of students who have consistently got high marks on the official AAMCs practice tests but scored significantly less on the real deal. OP may feel he got cheated from a great score, but in reality, it could have been MUCH MUCH worse.

And as far as top schools go, it's foolish to concentrate your efforts on the most selective schools. Aiming for the top schools at the risk of getting a low MCAT score is extremely careless. Successful applicants cast wide nets at a range of schools. Your goal should not be Harvard or bust... and if it is, may God help you.

I agree. I personally don't think it's worth it. However, for those aiming for top schools, it makes a big difference. I just wanted to point out the erroneous notion that a 34 and a 38 isn't a large difference. It is, which ANNOYS me because once you hit 33, you have the requisite cognitive ability to do well.

Finally, I also agree with the skew. People have been criticizing the AAMC data. The data is likely skewed and according to MSAR the median is 32. However, I saw in a thread earlier that it is 33. So, the point is that the data is not exactly accurate. If we could really see an accurate distribution we would likely see a median of 37 at a lot of the top 10-15 schools. It's up to you to see if it's worth retaking.

The difference between a 34 and a 37 isn't that much. I'm not convinced there's a general difference in intellectual ability between a 34 and 37. Anyone scoring 38 on practice tests may score a 34 on the real deal. That's the nature of the MCAT. It's easier to reproduce a 30 than a 38 owing to the nature of the test and scaling, especially at the high end.

Thinking about retaking a 34????!!! I think adcom will smell this idiot from a mile away. LOL

Your answer depends on what you want. If you want top tier schools, then a retake is not a bad idea, especially if you have already maxed out other areas in your application. You could consider taking a year off and applying to only those reach schools you are interested in and seeing if you get a bite. Meantime you can retake the MCAT and do something else for the year to really enhance your application and come back that much stronger. Retaking the MCAT for the sole purpose of getting a higher grade, is ill-advised but I don't think you are saying that. There will be a lot of standardized tests in your future and getting hung up on one does not do you any good. Take some time to think about what it is you really want. If you just want medical school, then don't sweat the 34, it is a good score and a 9 verbal won't hold you back. But if you are aiming for the top then consider the year off mentioned above and try and add a couple of points to your MCAT because it makes a difference at that level.

"once you hit 33, you have the requisite cognitive ability to do well" - I only scored a 30 on my MCAT. I'm pretty @$#%@# smart too. Top of my class in fact. I'm depressed now that I know I unfortunately lack the cognitive ability to do well in med school...

"9 on VR won't get you ANY admissions". My VR was 9. Got 10 offers (including one from your mom) , 3 to top 10 schools.

As was previously explained, the MEDIAN is not the same thing as an average/mean. This is not a perfect bell curve. Please stop using the median as though it was the mean. You're going to confuse people.

To answer your question from my opinion: 38 on your FIRST definitely looks better than a 34 and may help you get a couple more top tier interviews. Like others have said, now that you already have a very good (but admittedly not amazing) score under your belt, taking it a second time will really open you up to all types of questions and raised eyebrows. If you score a 40, maybe it will get you some bonus points somewhere, but I think it will largely detract your chances at most places, or do nothing at all. It's obviously your call, and maybe some will see it as confidence and drive to be better.

To respond to another part of your post, not going to a "top-tier" school will not in any way affect your ability to match into a field of choice. I have many friends in barely-known schools. Several of them have matched into very competitive programs that don't even offer residencies at their schools (derm, plastics, uro). Yes, it might be harder, but it's not going to close doors as long as you do your part. What will be a bigger challenge is going to a school that doesn't offer a residency in the specialty you are interested in.

Either way, good luck!

Last edited:
folks, please don't confuse "increase your chances of getting into medical school by 4%" with "increase your chances of getting into top medical schools by" ( I believe a 38 will increase your odds by magnitudes of 100%)

Think about it, if you only have a 5% of getting into a top school with a 34, and even 20% chance with a 38, that's an increase of 300% odds.

The reason is because he aleady has like 85% of getting into in A medical school, it can't increase by that much.

Statistics is fun isn't it?

Thank you all for your input. I've decided to meet with the dean of admissions at my school to discuss this issue. I'll report back with what he says.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/157904/data/combined10.pdf

Once you hit 30+, you can definitely pass med school.

You should aim for above-average if you want a good chance of getting into a particular school.

The difference between 33 (90%tile) and 38 (99%tile) is the difference between being 1-in-10 and 1-in-100.

Of course, the effort required is proportionately difficult. Going from a 28 to 33 is vastly easier than from 33 to 38, even if they require the same amount of questions answered correctly (and they don't).

Then again, this is the MCAT. It's nothing compared to the Steps. If you really cared, you could get a 38. It's only that most undergrads don't have the required discipline to study for the MCAT in a way that medical students would... which is why most undergrads don't get into med school.

It's nothing compared to the Steps.

I have spoken to several med students and residents who considered their MCAT harder than their Steps; and I am talking about med students and residents at a top 5 medical school/hospital. It's also not unheard of to see people who struggled to score 26-28 on their MCAT score 230+ on their Step I. So you are only speaking for yourself.

I have spoken to several med students and residents who considered their MCAT harder than their Steps; and I am talking about med students and residents at a top 5 medical school/hospital. It's also not unheard of to see people who struggled to score 26-28 on their MCAT score 230+ on their Step I. So you are only speaking for yourself.

I'm sorry, but you are extremely misinformed. The reason that I am guessing their Steps were "easy" for your friends is because they studied a lot more for them. The material for the MCAT is 1) very limited (all of my classes have more notes than the Kaplan books put together) and 2) relatively easy. Go grab a copy of First Aid and take a look.

As far as the original post, I also scored 6-7 points lower than my practice exams, did NOT retake, and still ended up at my top choice. 34 will get you invites to just about everywhere (+/- the luck involved in the application process) you apply. Basically, 35 and lower will look bad. Two or three point increase would be expected with a retake. 38+ will look good (not even necessarily help). Remember, it happened once...it could happen again.

I'm sorry, but you are extremely misinformed. The reason that I am guessing their Steps were "easy" for your friends is because they studied a lot more for them. The material for the MCAT is 1) very limited (all of my classes have more notes than the Kaplan books put together) and 2) relatively easy. Go grab a copy of First Aid and take a look.

Medical school may contain more volume of material but volume isn't functionally linear with difficulty. I took an organ systems physiology and histology course with medical students and, frankly, it wasn't that difficult. It was primarily an exercise in rote memorization (especially histology) with some critical thinking but nothing impossible. I still had time to do other things and have a life. I found that digesting a course in elementary number theory or spectroscopy was more difficult than the organ systems course referenced above.

I spent two weeks studying for my MCAT and the amount of work I put in was roughly the same as that I spent on this course. I personally think my MCAT involved slightly more critical thinking and speed of thought as opposed to this organ systems course. So I am inclined to believe the opinions of several medical students (at a top 5 medical school) and residents (one who is an Ob/Gyn resident at Harvard now, another is a Peds resident at Hopkins med) on finding the Steps more "solvable" than the MCAT.

It's not uncommon to see students retake the MCAT and never break 30 but yet score over 230 on the Step I exam. It actually happens and some of these folks never gave me the impression it was merely a function of preparation. Of course there are people who will find the MCAT easier than medical school coursework or the Steps but it's not a general rule that this perception is universal.

Last edited:
On the one hand I'd say no because it is a great score.

But on the other hand, if you had an off day and you took it I can see your point. With verbal, people that are good at verbal are GOOD at verbal... my practice verbal score was always in the 12-14 range. Got a 13 on the real thing which put me in 99th percentile that year (09).

My science scores ranged from 7-12 and were much less consistent practice test to test. So if you're sure you can bring up your VR without bringing down PS and BS then I would say do it (but remember that a few science passages you don't know can sink your ship).

Only do it if you're sure you know your bio/chem/physics like the back of your hand (possible since you did so well on them).

If it counts for anything, I had much lower GPA stats than you, got a 30, and am now in my second year (but it depends on what your goals are as far as schools). I'll let you guys know on the MCAT vs. Step thing next June...lol.