kehmon

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
32
0
Boston
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi Everyone,

I've done a search already and haven't come up with too much relating to my situation.

Right now, I'm working full time and taking orgo and will be applying in the summer of 2006. I still need to take the DATs and Biochemistry (the latest I can take biochem is this summer).

What order should I take the DATs and Biochem so I have the best chance when applying? I'm not worried about the order affecting my DAT scores, I'm more worried about the schools not having all of my information soon enough.

AADSAS says that I can update DAT scores anytime after I submit my applications, but I cannot update coursework until January of the next year!

Here are my options:

1. work full time, 2nd semester of this year take orgo and biochem, apply june 1, DAT's over the summer
2. work full time, 2nd semester of this year take orgo, then the DAT's, apply june 1, biochem over the summer

With option 1, my application would be "complete" sooner, but with option 2, I feel I'd have a little room to breath.

What does everyone suggest?

Thank you in advance!!
 

TimR

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2005
222
0
Status
kehmon said:
Hi Everyone,

I've done a search already and haven't come up with too much relating to my situation.

Right now, I'm working full time and taking orgo and will be applying in the summer of 2006. I still need to take the DATs and Biochemistry (the latest I can take biochem is this summer).

What order should I take the DATs and Biochem so I have the best chance when applying? I'm not worried about the order affecting my DAT scores, I'm more worried about the schools not having all of my information soon enough.

AADSAS says that I can update DAT scores anytime after I submit my applications, but I cannot update coursework until January of the next year!

Here are my options:

1. work full time, 2nd semester of this year take orgo and biochem, apply june 1, DAT's over the summer
2. work full time, 2nd semester of this year take orgo, then the DAT's, apply june 1, biochem over the summer

With option 1, my application would be "complete" sooner, but with option 2, I feel I'd have a little room to breath.

What does everyone suggest?

Thank you in advance!!
option 2 for sure.... biochem doesn't really help on the DAT, (you may get 1 or 2 simple questions) some schools don't even require it. Get a good grade in O-chem and study hard for the DAT and even more importantly apply ASAP.
 

JessicaSimpson

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
143
0
Status
I like option 1 personally ... Then you don't have to worry about updating schools with your summer grades and you have an empty summer to study for the DAT.
 
OP
K

kehmon

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
32
0
Boston
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks for the responses everyone....keep them coming!

I'm not too worried about what effect biochem will have on the DATs.. My major concern is that AADSAS states that you can only update coursework in January of the following year. So if I take biochem in the summer, ie after I apply to schools, then the schools will need to wait until January to know my biochem grades. But if I take biochem 2nd semester, they will have my grades when I apply.

AADSAS says that you can update DAT scores anytime, but coursework has to be in January. My concern with taking the DATs in the summer is when to take the kaplan course.... the spring course would be tough with work and two classes :confused:
 

JessicaSimpson

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
143
0
Status
kehmon said:
Thanks for the responses everyone....keep them coming!

I'm not too worried about what effect biochem will have on the DATs.. My major concern is that AADSAS states that you can only update coursework in January of the following year. So if I take biochem in the summer, ie after I apply to schools, then the schools will need to wait until January to know my biochem grades. But if I take biochem 2nd semester, they will have my grades when I apply.

AADSAS says that you can update DAT scores anytime, but coursework has to be in January. My concern with taking the DATs in the summer is when to take the kaplan course.... the spring course would be tough with work and two classes :confused:
You don't have to go through AADSAS when updating schools - you can send your transcript with summer grades directly to your schools.

Just take the Kaplan course during the summer and the DAT at the end. AADSAS seems to be the slowest, limiting step in this whole process, so as long as you submit to them early, you'll be fine.
 

VClovesteeth05

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
147
0
New York, New York
Status
i find studying for the DATs in the summer is best, as opposed to while you are taking orgo. i took the kaplan online course....you schedule when you want to do everything. plus even if you take your DATs in august, and you apply the first day the app is available (mid-may), most schools aren't even really looking over apps until august anyway, so they'll get your DAT scores fairly quickly (and in the beginning of their application review).
 

kurt10

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2005
90
0
37
NC
Status
Dentist
If I were you I would make sure my application is in to AADSAS before June first whether or not you have taken the DAT. I would not take the DAT later than july. when you take the DAT fax your scores directly to the schools, let them know you are interested and a couple weeks the official scores will arrive. It shouldn't matter when you take Biochem, do it whenever it best fits in your schedule.
 

Generallee

NYUCD 2010
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2004
498
0
NYC
Status
Dental Student
kehmon said:
Hi Everyone,

I've done a search already and haven't come up with too much relating to my situation.

Right now, I'm working full time and taking orgo and will be applying in the summer of 2006. I still need to take the DATs and Biochemistry (the latest I can take biochem is this summer).

What order should I take the DATs and Biochem so I have the best chance when applying? I'm not worried about the order affecting my DAT scores, I'm more worried about the schools not having all of my information soon enough.

AADSAS says that I can update DAT scores anytime after I submit my applications, but I cannot update coursework until January of the next year!

Here are my options:

1. work full time, 2nd semester of this year take orgo and biochem, apply june 1, DAT's over the summer
2. work full time, 2nd semester of this year take orgo, then the DAT's, apply june 1, biochem over the summer

With option 1, my application would be "complete" sooner, but with option 2, I feel I'd have a little room to breath.

What does everyone suggest?

Thank you in advance!!

Here's what I'd do...

Option 3: Work Full time, 2nd Semester of this year take orgo, then study DAT from end of Spring Semester for about 2-3 months, take DAT end of July, apply right at May 15, take Biochem in Fall 2006 (thus, will not be included in the GPA's AADSAS calculates).
 

teefRcool

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2005
474
0
Status
Generallee said:
Here's what I'd do...

Option 3: Work Full time, 2nd Semester of this year take orgo, then study DAT from end of Spring Semester for about 2-3 months, take DAT end of July, apply right at May 15, take Biochem in Fall 2006 (thus, will not be included in the GPA's AADSAS calculates).
Will grades be included if you take courses in the summer but submit the application in May (while summer session is in progress). So what i'm saying is will summer get included also after i complete the course which will go up to like september even though i submitted the aadsas app way back in may?

Thanks
 

JessicaSimpson

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
143
0
Status
teefRcool said:
Will grades be included if you take courses in the summer but submit the application in May (while summer session is in progress). So what i'm saying is will summer get included also after i complete the course which will go up to like september even though i submitted the aadsas app way back in may?

Thanks
no
 
OP
K

kehmon

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
32
0
Boston
Status
Pre-Dental
kurt10 said:
If I were you I would make sure my application is in to AADSAS before June first whether or not you have taken the DAT. I would not take the DAT later than july. when you take the DAT fax your scores directly to the schools, let them know you are interested and a couple weeks the official scores will arrive. It shouldn't matter when you take Biochem, do it whenever it best fits in your schedule.
Ok it's settled that my app. will be in as soon as it possibly can. I like the idea of faxing the dat scores to the school as a heads up!




Generallee said:
Here's what I'd do...

Option 3: Work Full time, 2nd Semester of this year take orgo, then study DAT from end of Spring Semester for about 2-3 months, take DAT end of July, apply right at May 15, take Biochem in Fall 2006 (thus, will not be included in the GPA's AADSAS calculates).

I like this idea, except for the Harvard post-bac program I need to finish my pre-req's by the end of the summer in which I'm applying to school. So unfortunately this option wouldn't work.