Dilemma, what should i do????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im currently getting all A's in my classes including Physiology and Chemistry, but the problem is Im getting a C in Physics (calculus based) right now....I dont want to get C in my any classes because that would really drag my GPA down, so you guys think i should drop it with a W instead and retake it next semester? Between a C and a W, which one is less desirable when applying....thanks for all the feedbacks in advance......

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno whats less desirable as far as adcoms go, but Id likely take the W over the C.

im currently getting all A's in my classes including Physiology and Chemistry, but the problem is Im getting a C in Physics (calculus based) right now....I dont want to get C in my any classes because that would really drag my GPA down, so you guys think i should drop it with a W instead and retake it next semester? Between a C and a W, which one is less desirable when applying....thanks for all the feedbacks in advance......

For the reason you're giving, yes the 'W' will look bad. It's all about circumstance. If you have a W because you had some kind of emergency that required you out of school for two months, then yeah a few 'Ws' will be alright. However if you are taking the W because you can't handle the course work -- yeah that's a potential problem.

Kick it up a notch and make a B. If you can't, take the C. You can bring your GPA up, if you're in introductory physics you still have a ways to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd take a W also, assuming you don't have a lot of other Ws on your record.

For the reason you're giving, yes the 'W' will look bad. It's all about circumstance. If you have a W because you had some kind of emergency that required you out of school for two months, then yeah a few 'Ws' will be alright. However if you are taking the W because you can't handle the course work -- yeah that's a potential problem.

Kick it up a notch and make a B. If you can't, take the C. You can bring your GPA up, if you're in introductory physics you still have a ways to go.

It's not that i cannot handle the courseload, it's just that Physics just wont go thru my brain for some reason, i study and study yet when it comes to the test i just miss a little bbit here and there........im getting all A in my other classes including physiology, chemistry,and bio.........the physics im currently taking is the second series of Physics for Engineers aka Electricity and Magnetism........i dont know about you guys but I hate Physics with passions, I dont even know why we need this class for medical????

It's not that i cannot handle the courseload, it's just that Physics just wont go thru my brain for some reason, i study and study yet when it comes to the test i just miss a little bbit here and there........im getting all A in my other classes including physiology, chemistry,and bio.........the physics im currently taking is the second series of Physics for Engineers aka Electricity and Magnetism........i dont know about you guys but I hate Physics with passions, I dont even know why we need this class for medical????

I'm in no way implying that you cannot handle the courseload. However a W on your transcript in that notation will give that appearance. In the end you need to do what you feel is going to be best for your application. No, one of two W's (even without sufficient reason) is not going to keep you out of med school, and if you feel like you could do better on the course some other time, then by all means drop it.

If you can't handle Physics I and II, why are you taking the Physics for Engineers series. Most colleges offer a "pre-med" version that is far easier and not for majors.

If you can't handle Physics I and II, why are you taking the Physics for Engineers series. Most colleges offer a "pre-med" version that is far easier and not for majors.

well, i wanted to be on the safe side with my classes since the Engineering Physics is universally accepted at all schools while the other Physics are not acceptable at certain schools..........

well, i wanted to be on the safe side with my classes since the Engineering Physics is universally accepted at all schools while the other Physics are not acceptable at certain schools..........

In that case, drop it, take the W, and take the physics for pre-health. I can't think of a single med school that would turn it away, unless you were MD/PhD.