Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by BamaAlum, Sep 18, 2001.

1. BamaAlum

10+ Year Member

Hello,
    I have a dilemma. I am in the process of applying and I lack only my physician recommendation to have my file complete. Here's the problem: I have an M.D. who I have known for quite some time and I know would right me an excellent rec. But I know that most schools either require or PREFER to have a D.O. rec. I could shadow a D.O. at this point and get a rec., but there is no way he can get to know me as well as the M.D. does, not to mention the delay it would cause in completing my file. Is it better to get the D.O. rec just to have a D.O. rec. or to use a rec. from an M.D. who knows me better?

2. johnthestreak

johnthestreak master of disaster
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey yea, i'm in the same boat. i'm thinking of just going up to some DO's office and just asking him for a rec.

3. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason
    10+ Year Member

Well, if the MD knows you that well, have him send a letter. DO preferred - good MD helps!

An idea: call the osteopathic schools that you are applying to and ask if they have an alumni practicing in your area. Then call the alumn and set up a time to see them.

Hope I helped!
    -Brian

4. innerpower

innerpower Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

They do prefer to see a letter from a D.O. but it's not absolute necessity.

I've gone w/o a letter from a D.O., and I had no problem getting into my first choice school. (Western U/COMP) :D

If you're sure that you can get an excellent rec letter from an M.D., use that letter.

It's much better to have a great rec letter from an M.D. than a very superficial letter from a D.O. who barely knows you.

By the way, if you haven't shadowed a D.O. yet, you should definitely do it!

It's something you can mentione on your secondary and also on your interview.

It'll not only look good on your application, but it's a great way to see a D.O. in action.

Good Luck w/ your applications!

5. sport

sport Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I actually submitted both a letter from a DO and an MD. I may be in a special situation since I work with an MD. A DO that I shadowed offered to write me a letter after only one afternoon, he said that schools look at the letter as an initial evaluation from someone in the DO community that would like to call you a colleague....I don't know if that helps, good luck :D