Dilemma!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD05??

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
**This message was also posted in the pre-dental forum**

Hey everyone, I've been struggling to come to a decision and I was hoping some of you dents or pre-dents out there could help.
I applied this year for the class of 2005 and got interviews at NYU, Tufts and BU. I was accepted to NYU and BU, however due to my late application, the class at Tufts was already full and I was only placed on the waitlist.
I refused NYU's offer and put a deposit down at Boston, just to be safe. The problem is, from my research and my gut feeling, I really feel that Tufts would be the best place for me. Now BU wants their tuition since they start August 1st.
Here's my questions: is it worth taking my chances and waiting for Tufts, possibly even losing a year just to get into my first choice? Is Tufts really that much better, or can someone present me with some evidence that BU is the place to go? Tufts has said that deferrement is a possibility if students don't get accepted from the waitlist, but is this something worth banking on?
Any help would be great, I have to decide ASAP, and this will affect my whole future.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt wait for tufts, im in the class of 2005 and we are over booked with students .... go with bu

My advice is also go ahead with attending BU because chances are, you might not hear back from Tufts. It's getting late in the summer and I personally wouldn't want to jeopardize the prospect of being able to enter dental school this year. Getting in is tough, and gaining admission to any school is an undeniable accomplishment. From what I hear and what I've researched in the past, Goldman School of DM is an excellent institution. As others may have told you, who knows, you may love BU a weeks into the program. If you don't, you could look into the possibility of transfering, though I'm not sure whether that is permitted at Tufts - you may want to look into that.

All the best to you and let us know what you decide!

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your goal?
...to become a dentist..or to attend Tufts?

Dude, with all due respect..it's a no brainer: go to BU.

Thanks for the advice guys, I think that you are probably right and I shouldn't pass up this opportunity.
Aggro, of course my goal is to become a dentist, however, I want to become a very good dentist, and I also do not want to close the door on any specialty programs that I may later be interested in. Therefore I would rather lose a year than be pressured into going to a school that I may not be 100% confident in, especially considering the $$ involved. I think that BU is most likely a great school as well, however certain aspects of their curriculum seem less appealing to me than the one at Tufts (APEX for example). I just stated that my gut says that I would be more comfortable at Tufts, and this is important since I will be spending the next four years at one of these schools.