1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dilemma?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by FutureNSXDent, Sep 10, 2002.

1. FutureNSXDent

FutureNSXDent Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I recently took my DAT (9/8) and now all the schools I've applied are sending letters indicating that they want my DAT score. I contacted ADA and they said that the scores will be send out within 3 weeks. Should I just fax the unofficial result to each dental school or should I wait for ADA to send them the official score?

Did any of you have this problem? If so, what did you do? I am thinking about either faxing or sending it through mail.

Tahnks!

NSXDent

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smile_doctor

smile_doctor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

NSX:

Definitely fax them with a statement saying that official copies will follow.

Good Luck!

4. mzalendo

mzalendo Member
    10+ Year Member

The story is a question of formality. Dental schools do not , I repeat do not accept scores not sent directly from the ADA. It is pretty obvious why. However take you have exeptional scores, it may raise a few eyebrows in anticipation of the actual document. Most importantly stop freaking out, if they have everything else exept your DAT use this time to prepare for your interv... . By the way how was your DAT experience I probably missed your take on it.
    PS. someguys are loosing 6 weeks worth of precious application time just because someone somewhere is not doing their job right

5. sjdent

sjdent Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, like I said in another post, it is an option to take an unofficial copy of your DAT scores to the school you're applying to.

The schools I applied to did. Who knows, hopefully your schools are as accomodating. The admissions director told me that they accepted them knowing it would be the same info when they got it in a few weeks. She specifically said, "We'll just find out anyway, officially, later."

6. savvysearch

savvysearch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

IMO, send it, if your scores are good. Each admissions officer is different. Maybe some look at it and some may not. But IMO the more contact with your schools the better.

7. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    And as a note, the ADA (unlike ADEA) is very timely in sending out DAT scores to the schools. My schools got my scores 8 days after I took the exam. Send unofficial copies if you wish, and let the schools know that the official copies should be coming shortly (2-5 days) after they receive your copies you've sent.

8. FutureNSXDent

7+ Year Member

Thanks for the replies guyz, really appreciate it!

NSXDent

9. FutureNSXDent

7+ Year Member

Mzalendo,

My Dat experience was unlike any others. My test was scheduled to be at 10 AM on sun, and I got there at 9:10 just to be safe. Shockingly, the testing center remained closed and no one was there to open, even at 1 PM. It was freakin' ridiculous. To abridge the story, I ended up having to drive back to take the test at 3:30 PM because I received a call from one of the test-takers (we exchanged cell # earlier) and finished at night. It was a horrible experience, not only did I lose my mindset, I lost the rhythm I had going. There were about 20 of us, me being the only one registered for DAT. This girl got everyone's cell phone number because she is thinking about organizing a protest, but what can be compensated? Nothing worth the time we wasted and the mind set, the readiness we had. All in all, if any of you are in the Berkeley area and decided to take the DAT test in Piedmond, Oakland, I would suggest you taking in SF to avoid this fiasco.

Apparently, I found out later from the second shift guy that the guy just didn't show up. Apparently, at the Piedmont Sylvan testing center there was only one guy registering test-takers.

NSXDent

10. mzalendo

mzalendo Member
    10+ Year Member

Hope you bounced back that really sounded like a ghost town story. Thanks, it is a pity how these guys don't realize how highly we regard the DAT and the state of mind that we need to endure just to get through it. Thanks again
    mzalendo