1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

dilemma

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by liquidshadow22, Jan 2, 2009.

1. liquidshadow22

liquidshadow22 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Would you go to a top DO school or UMKC ? Will having a DO put me at a disadvantage for residencies? UMKC is just very far away from home, and I have to pack up and leave in a day to start classes....very tough situation for me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Not for DO residencies. Allo residencies are a different story.

4. liquidshadow22

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i think i very well might want a good allo residency....should i take the umkc acceptance and run with it?

5. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    then you're better off at umkc. which has better financial aid?

6. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

It depends what specialty you want to go into? Primary Care? Won't be a problem. Radiology? Better go MD...Keep in mind this is only if you are dead set on getting an MD residency. DOs have their own residencies.

You need to take a real deep look at where you will be HAPPIEST. Seriously, for a second try to ignore the degree you will be getting b/c it honestly doesnt matter. How will you do far away from home/friends/family? If you are the type of person taht needs that support group, then stay close to home. Dont make yourself miserable b/c you want to be an MD. You are going to be a physician. Med school is stressful enough as it is, you might as well go to the place that you think will give you the best chance to be successful and keep your health/sanity

7. RySerr21

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    What specialty are you interested in? Its not as if if you get a DO you wont match in to an MD residency. DOs match into MD residencies all the time, the family practice doc (DO) I shadowed was the cheif resident at UCSD. You should really only take MD residency into consideration if you are dead set on top competitive specialities.

8. liquidshadow22

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey i appreciate the advice...im only really considering psychiatry/neurology/neurosurgery...so I'm not sure...but I want a residency on the east coast, and I might want the option of academic medicine.

9. afmedstudent

afmedstudent Air Force Med Student

Medical Student
  10. RySerr21

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    haha, welll thats quite the range of competiveness (psych to neurosurg). If you want a residency on the east coast, probably best to go to school on the east coast if you have the option. I'm assuming the DO school is on the east coast since your other school is in missouri. Not to say that you cant match somewhere in the east coast if you go to school in missouri or any other state, but it would certianly make it easier if you went to school in the area you wanted to stay. You can do academic medicine as a DO...I dont know anything about UMKC and i dont know the DO school you are considering, so i cant really comment on that aspect. Good luckw it the decision!

11. jenni515

Pre-Medical
    I'm interested in where you decided to go?? I am currently applying to both UMKC and a few DO schools as well. Also, do you have any advice for getting into the UMKC program? I know that they only admit a few students a year.

12. stinovic

Medical Student
    UMKC is actually accepting more MD students because many of the 'track' or six year students are dropping out like flies. My advice to you would be show them your interest in medicine, science, what not, but talk about your passion (i applied there as a six year student having completed one year of undergrad). Theyre used to hearing bullcrap about your dedication to medicine, helping people, blah, blah blah but I think the reason for my acceptance was me talking about my love for painting. Bottom line they want well rounded students.