Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicholaus

Fellow
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma:
I have my Surgery core rotation coming up and as I'm considering going into Surgery, I obviously need to make a good impression, etc. So how do I keep my tattoos hidden/covered? They are on both arms and come down to about mid-bicep level.

Any advice or ideas are more than welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

...need to make a good impression, etc. ... how do I keep my tattoos hidden/covered? ...
1. when not in OR wear the button shirt & tie
2. Do not wear excessively tight scrubs. My scrub shirt/top covers to or a little past mid-bicept most of the time. Less so when stretching forward and/or reaching and/or flexing arms.
3. When wearing scrubs, wear white coat as much as is practical during any given situation
4. avoid showing/displaying them to interested/gauking folks.... very common for things to go unnoticed until the scrub nurse asks to see, you roll up sleeve, thus wasting time and emphasizing the existance of tatoos. When asked, blow it off and/or say "not now", "another time", etc....

I think short of laser that is about all that can be done.

Last edited:
1. when not in OR wear the button shirt & tie
2. Do not wear excessively tight scrubs. My scrub shirt/top covers to or a little past mid-bicept most of the time. Less so when stretching forward and/or reaching and/or flexing arms.
3. When wearing scrubs, wear white coat as much as is practical during any given situation
4. avoid showing/displaying them to interested/gauking folks.... very common for things to go unnoticed until the scrub nurse asks to see, you roll up sleeve, thus wasting time and emphasizing the existance of tatoos. When asked, blow it off and/or say "not now", "another time", etc....

I think short of laser that is about all that can be done.

JackADeli:

Thanks for the advice! I've actually had a few laser treatments done on both arms, and they're about 60-65% removed, but still visible. I was thinking about wearing an oversized XL scrub top (and desperately hoping that it would cover most of, if not all of the visible parts). If not, then I was planning on wearing a white t-shirt underneath. And as far as showing them off, not a problem there because there's not much to look at (considering a great portion of them have been "lasered off" already.

Members don't see this ad :)
...about 60-65% removed, but still visible. ...as far as showing them off, not a problem there because there's not much to look at ...
Good. You will be quite surprised how much the less then complete tatoo can sometimes attract more curiousity then the complete one... folks are known for asking to see what is left and or trying to figure out what was there before.... Also, some attendings/ORs/etc.. may not allow an under-shirt. This was true in my CV rotations. I also knew of a vascular attending that once told a resident, "next time don't wear underwear".... folks laughed but knew he was talking about the undershirt.

But, I think you should be fine. Best of luck.

Are tattoos looked down upon that harshly?

It's just the stigma attached with them. If no one can see them, no problem.

I regret ever getting ink done back in college and now have to pay the price of having them removed (and trying to keep them covered/hidden around my attendings, etc.)!

If I wasn't considering going into Surgery, then I wouldn't make a huge deal about it.

Nicholaus,

sorry I didn't answer your PM on this subject. I saw it, got busy and promptly forgot about it until I saw this thread.

JAD has given you some excellent advice. Wearing large scrubs tops and perhaps something underneath (as long as it doesn't cover your elbows and if "fashionable"/allowed) at your program is a good idea.

Since you will be doing trauma, most of the time you will be wearing a gown over your scrubs in the trauma bay, and of course, in the OR. They will probably allow you to wear scrubs in clinic and you will cover this with your white coat.

Tattoos are not uncommon in some segments of medical society. IMHO, they are most common amongst EM types, nursing students (the "tramp stamp"), with some of the surgery and anesthesia cowboys trailing. Then again, all of the above tend to wear scrubs and their arms are more visible than other specialties who tend to wear long sleeved shirts.

You may be suprised on your rotation to find some of your attendings have them but its a good idea to try and keep them covered as much as possible because there are still very many factions in surgery that are conservative and would not approve of such decoration.

Thanks for your advice Winged Scapula! It has definitely taken some of the anxiety and stress out of my upcoming rotation :) Now I can just stay focused on performing well on the rotation!