Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Erm, I don't get your either or statement here. Why does it have to be top competitive school or professional school? Why not anything in between?

Im not sure i understand why you have categorized graduate school programs into only 2 types? For example, does Auburn strike you as a top-tier research school? It certainly not a professional school though, right? Why havent you including these smaller scale university programs? There are alot of hidden gems out there that dont have alot a "publish or perish mentality." And frankly, I dont thnk you'll find this mentality in most places anyway. Some good hidden gems IMHO are, Kansas, Louisville, UT Southwest Medical Center, Auburn, Central Florida, Western Michigan...the list goes on. Most of those offer ample npsych training as well.

Ther are some people on this board in some top notch reseach heavy schools, and Im sure they would counter your assumption that the atmosphere is anything like what you described.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
removed

Last edited:
being in this profession, especially if you academic-oriented career goals (as you seem to), requires a certain degree of geographic mobility/flexibility. Sorry, thats just the way it is.

edited

Last edited:
Are you only considering top-tier programs because of your interest in doing solely research? A lot of programs that aren't top programs or aren't exclusively research. I'm concerned about the same thing, so I'm e-mailing current students to see if the research at some more balanced programs is emphasized enough so that I can obtain many publications and move forward in the academic world.

Erm, I don't get your either or statement here. Why does it have to be top competitive school or professional school? Why not anything in between?

I'm wondering the same thing...

What kind of professional school is this? What are the match rates for internship? Prospective debt load? Also, keep in mind that neuropsych tends to have a bit more of a PhD than other areas of clinical psych.

Well, its kind of an odd choice to begin with to be honesy. Most professional schools will be Psy.Ds, and even the ones that offer a ph.d still arent very reseach focused. Generally speaking, a person who goes to one of these program would not be happy in the other. That is, I cant see a "research hound" being too happy in a professional school, and I cant really see a clinically foucused professional school student being very happy in a program like Yale. See what I mean?

Its a personal decision based on career goals. However, on average, you are better off getting training at a traditional university, as, on average, the match rates are better and they dont carry the stigma that some professional schools do (ie., Argosy). But again, if you have academic oriented career goals, and very research focused, you will have to fight tooth and nail for the pubs that the academic postions require, as its generally alot harder to be produce alot of orginal research in a professional school.

Last edited:
kris: A balanced program is still research-focused. You will still be expected to publish and present at conferences, and have plenty of opportunities in which to do so.

kris: A balanced program is still research-focused. You will still be expected to publish and present at conferences, and have plenty of opportunities in which to do so.

I would say that this varies by person/adviser... I know a couple of students in the balanced PhD program here who have very minimally presented and not published and are perfectly happy with that. That said, the vast majority of the students do seem to want to present/publish, some quite a lot.

As someone who really likes research (but doesn't want to be a full-time researcher--part-time research work coupled with clinical work would be great) and wants to publish/present in grad school, I feel perfectly comfortable applying to balanced programs, even a couple of balanced PsyDs which do emphasize research to some degree. YMMV, and of course, my outlook would likely be quite different if I thought I wanted an academic career.

I'm interested in an academic career and a few balanced program students said that their programs probably wouldn't have the resources for me to reach that goal. Granted you can turn any program into a research-oriented one by seeking out the right people and opportunites, finding the right program that will foster academic growth is vital to anyone looking to become a professional researcher. Professional programs are unlikely to offer the research opportunities neccesary to lead a career in the field.

That's interesting... my program has really good opportunities and it's very balanced, so I guess I figured it would apply to all of them. My bad, shouldn't generalize like that. :D

That's interesting... my program has really good opportunities and it's very balanced, so I guess I figured it would apply to all of them. My bad, shouldn't generalize like that. :D

I am applying to a few balanced programs that told me they strive to produce academics as well as clinicians, but it certainly isn't all of them. Some of the programs already listen in this post told me my career choice would be better catered-to at another program (at least that's what current students told me!)

Most professional schools will be Psy.Ds, and even the ones that offer a ph.d still arent very reseach focused. Generally speaking, a person who goes to one of these program would not be happy in the other. That is, I cant see a "research hound" being too happy in a professional school, and I cant really see a clinically foucused professional school student being very happy in a program like Yale. See what I mean?

Another thing to consider is actually getting in. I applied to solely research heavy programs and several times there were sideways remarks about people applying to PsyD programs. This was nothing against those programs, it was just that faculty assumed those people were less serious about research/less focused in general and were just trying to get in somewhere in the area. In a world where "match" is everything, that is not a good impression to give.