Dilemma...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yamed21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I plan on taking the mcat in august and I am somewhat contemplating if I should continue working or not. I will be volunteering about twice a week (around 4-5 hours a day) and will spend much of the 3 other days till around 4pm in a lab doing research (not paid at the moment). Then I'll study for the rest of the day.
Should I continue working weekends or should I dedicate weekends for pure mcat studying only. An amazing mcat score would defs beat out $$$!!
I would like to get some feedback from individuals who were in a similar situation about what they did and how it turned out.
Thank you! Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not desperately in need of money right now, I would choose mcat over working. Whatever you do, make sure you make a fixed study plan that you can follow.

If you are in need of money, though, I don't think working will be too harmful, as long as you're not working too long (>20) or odd (late at night) hours. Since you have until August, you can start studying early (more than 3 months) but with fewer hours per week than most people. When it gets to July, then you can think about quitting, or even taking a 2 week break if possible to focus on the MCAT.