Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uvache

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am second year Pre-Med Chemical Engineering undergrad at University of Virginia.

Maryland State Resident.

Freshman year gpa: 3.59 Overall, ~3.8 sGPA.

Here's the dilemma: I am doing chemical engineering. Although my first year gpa was okay, chances are high it will decrease over time due to ChemE courses. I am die-hard premed and really want to get into a MD program . I have some good extracurriculars (700+ hospital volunteer service, Resident Advisor, 2 College jobs, Summer Research @ Hopkins). Expected gpa would be around 3.2-3.4 in the next two years. Lets assume an MCAT score of 30. Will I have a chance into any med schools? I'd prefer ones in Maryland or Virginia. Please really require an honest opinion. Thanks alot!

I also majored in chemical engineering and will be going to medical school next year so I can try and give you my opinions. First off, I wouldn't worry too much about grades dropping quite yet. Generally, freshmen classes are mostly general engineering classes like gen chem, calc, physics, etc. so it can be hard to tell where you stand in your class. Your sophomore classes, especially material and energy balances, are where you will get a better feel of how you will do with the che specific courses, and how you stack up compared to your classmates (which ultimately will determine your GPA assuming your school grades on a curve). I went into every semester thinking my GPA was going to drop, and it never did. If you end up with a 3.2-3.4, you would probably face an uphill battle for MD admission, but definitely not impossible, and will have to be better in all other aspects of your application, especially your MCAT. If you can get into the 3.5-3.6 range, your GPA won't really be an issue. Some schools will take into account the difficulty of the degree when making decisions, but that alone won't overcome a low GPA. A high MCAT is the thing that would help you the most. I think aiming for a 30 would be setting your sights a little low. Most of the engineers I knew who took the MCAT ended up in the 32-36 range. I would take a biochem course and a physiology course at some point to help your bio section. Your ECs should also help set you apart, as they are very strong for a traditional student. The good thing about being an engineering major is that it helps set you apart from the thousands of biology majors who are applying. Also keep in mind that if all else fails, you can get a good job right out of school, which cannot be said for many degrees in the current economy. Overall, if you keep your GPA from tanking and do well on the MCAT, you stand a great shot at getting in somewhere.