Dilettante reality check: Minor vs. taking random electives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dianyla

in denial
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently at the end of my freshman year and am doing some course planning. In addition to satisfying all of the pre-med requirements as well as courses for my major, I am interested in taking some additional courses on subject matter that I happen to find personally interesting. The only "problem" with these different courses is that they don't count towards humanities requirements or towards a major.

My dilemma is this:
Does taking lots of random electives look too dilettante'ish or scattered? Will it come off as GPA-padding? Would it be better to selectively limit myself to just one side-topic and complete a formal Minor program?

Members don't see this ad.

Dianyla said:
I am currently at the end of my freshman year and am doing some course planning. In addition to satisfying all of the pre-med requirements as well as courses for my major, I am interested in taking some additional courses on subject matter that I happen to find personally interesting. The only "problem" with these different courses is that they don't count towards humanities requirements or towards a major.

My dilemma is this:
Does taking lots of random electives look too dilettante'ish or scattered? Will it come off as GPA-padding? Would it be better to selectively limit myself to just one side-topic and complete a formal Minor program?

If you find something personally intersting you are likely to do well in it and if asked about it at an interview, you are going to sound enthusatic.

As long as you have some upper level courses (not just bunches of 100 level and nothing much at the 300 level) you won't look like a dilettante.

Best advice... do what you love.

LizzyM said:
As long as you have some upper level courses (not just bunches of 100 level and nothing much at the 300 level) you won't look like a dilettante.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of this specific point. :)