dillemmas of an international student plannin a Ph.D. in neuropsychology in USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Irridessa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all!

I have completed my Master's degree in clinical psychology from university of Mumbai, India. I wish to pursue Ph.D. in neurpsychology in USA. Can you help me out with some information?

How are my master's marks considered?..is there a system for conversion? (we do not follow the GPA system here)
or are my GRE scores more important?
Is financial aid available? In what ways?..i need an idea of financial investment I would have to make..
I have found out that the univ of California – UCSD joint program, univ of florida n univ of Houston are the top notch programs in this field. Is this information correct? If there are other universities to be considered..how will I be able to list them according to preference? What should I be looking at when gathering info about a univ?

More questions still to come…

Thanking you all in anticipation :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there. I spent a semester at MS University in Baroda as an undergraduate, so I know what you mean about the marks/grades being quite different.

What scoring system was your program using, and how well did you do on it? Grades are generally considered more important than GREs, but in your case GREs might be given a bit more weight because it wil be easier to compare you GRE scores to those of other applicants than it will be to compare your grades/marks.

As far as financial aid, there are certain forms you might not be eligible for since you are (I presume) not a U.S. citizen. I would suggest you go to the financial aid section of the websites of the schools you're interested in - many of them will have specific sections dealing with international students. If they don't, drop an email or call!