Diploma from a foreign country

Lisochka

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
428
1
45
    I went to college in my country and have a master degree from there.
    Does AAMC or a Med School send the inquiry to my country and how long does it take?
    or they do evaluation on their own (like non medical colleges do. A foreign student just brings translatet into English diploma and the non-medical college just looks through it and that is it.)
    Does anyone know this?
     

    riceman04

    Full Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 21, 2005
    8,506
    5
    39
    Los Angeles
    1. Medical Student
      Lisochka said:
      I went to college in my country and have a master degree from there.
      Does AAMC or a Med School send the inquiry to my country and how long does it take?
      or they do evaluation on their own (like non medical colleges do. A foreign student just brings translatet into English diploma and the non-medical college just looks through it and that is it.)
      Does anyone know this?

      Ok so I am not exactly sure about what you are asking but I will say that med schools here normally require ALL students to take all pre-reqs in the US, regardless of your how in depth your studies may have been within a specific basic science (I am not assuming that you majored in a science).

      You should contact med schools/AAMC and ask them directly!
       
      About the Ads

      daviddamoore

      UK fool
      10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 3, 2005
      100
      0
      42
      Cali, SJ
        Hey there... I am from the UK and got my MS and BS (MSc BSc) from there. I am applying this cycle. There are a few of schools which don't mind if you have taken ALL your classes outside the US (Stanford springs to mind), some which require 1 year in the US (you can take classes while working - just basic ones), and LOADS which require 3 or 4 years in a US school. Even for the ones that don't need you to have all your years in the US, they often require a 3rd party evaluation of your degree. www.wes.org is where I got mine done. I won't tell you that it is easy, but with hard work you can at least meet minimum requirements for some schools. I have picked up a couple of interviews, so I am assuming that these schools at least look favorably on me.
        Good luck!

        oh yeah - you pretty much MUST have at least permanent residency. This was asked about in BOTH my interviews as well on the secondary applications.
         

        Lisochka

        Senior Member
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Dec 12, 2003
        428
        1
        45
          daviddamoore said:
          Hey there... I am from the UK and got my MS and BS (MSc BSc) from there. I am applying this cycle. There are a few of schools which don't mind if you have taken ALL your classes outside the US (Stanford springs to mind), some which require 1 year in the US (you can take classes while working - just basic ones), and LOADS which require 3 or 4 years in a US school. Even for the ones that don't need you to have all your years in the US, they often require a 3rd party evaluation of your degree. www.wes.org is where I got mine done. I won't tell you that it is easy, but with hard work you can at least meet minimum requirements for some schools. I have picked up a couple of interviews, so I am assuming that these schools at least look favorably on me.
          Good luck!

          oh yeah - you pretty much MUST have at least permanent residency. This was asked about in BOTH my interviews as well on the secondary applications.

          Hey, thanks for your reply!
          how do I find which school does not require to complete pre-requisites in the US?
          Did they tell you that you need the wes.org evaluation?
          because I called one school and they said that it was ok that I took pre-requizites outside of the US, but they said nothing about wes evaluation.
           

          Mikhail

          Senior Member
          7+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Nov 27, 2003
          144
          0
          New York
          www.mdapplicants.com
            Lisochka said:
            Hey, thanks for your reply!
            how do I find which school does not require to complete pre-requisites in the US?
            Did they tell you that you need the wes.org evaluation?
            because I called one school and they said that it was ok that I took pre-requizites outside of the US, but they said nothing about wes evaluation.

            Hey,

            I studied for two years in Russian and I got a bachelor's degree in the U.S.
            Downstate medical school in Brooklyn, NY, asked me to send my transcript with grades from Russia to World Education Services (wes.org) for course-by-course evaluation. WES is one of the most respected agencies for foreign documents evaluation. It may take you some time to go through this process because the agency will request a copy of your diploma with grades from England.

            Good luck

            Mikhail
             

            goodluck2

            Member
            10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Nov 11, 2005
            57
            0
            1. Pre-Medical
              Lisochka said:
              I went to college in my country and have a master degree from there.
              Does AAMC or a Med School send the inquiry to my country and how long does it take?
              or they do evaluation on their own (like non medical colleges do. A foreign student just brings translatet into English diploma and the non-medical college just looks through it and that is it.)
              Does anyone know this?

              I had completed five years in former soviet union country, but I still had to complete most of pre-med in USA. I did not find a school that accept anything from former soviet union but these credits that you non-med college accepted.
               
              About the Ads
              This thread is more than 15 years old.

              Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

              1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.