1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Diploma from a foreign country

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Lisochka, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I went to college in my country and have a master degree from there.
    Does AAMC or a Med School send the inquiry to my country and how long does it take?
    or they do evaluation on their own (like non medical colleges do. A foreign student just brings translatet into English diploma and the non-medical college just looks through it and that is it.)
    Does anyone know this?

2. Arsenic

Arsenic posting from the future
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    moving to pre-allo

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok so I am not exactly sure about what you are asking but I will say that med schools here normally require ALL students to take all pre-reqs in the US, regardless of your how in depth your studies may have been within a specific basic science (I am not assuming that you majored in a science).

You should contact med schools/AAMC and ask them directly!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. daviddamoore

daviddamoore UK fool
    5+ Year Member

Hey there... I am from the UK and got my MS and BS (MSc BSc) from there. I am applying this cycle. There are a few of schools which don't mind if you have taken ALL your classes outside the US (Stanford springs to mind), some which require 1 year in the US (you can take classes while working - just basic ones), and LOADS which require 3 or 4 years in a US school. Even for the ones that don't need you to have all your years in the US, they often require a 3rd party evaluation of your degree. www.wes.org is where I got mine done. I won't tell you that it is easy, but with hard work you can at least meet minimum requirements for some schools. I have picked up a couple of interviews, so I am assuming that these schools at least look favorably on me.
    Good luck!

oh yeah - you pretty much MUST have at least permanent residency. This was asked about in BOTH my interviews as well on the secondary applications.

5. OP
    OP
    Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey, thanks for your reply!
    how do I find which school does not require to complete pre-requisites in the US?
    Did they tell you that you need the wes.org evaluation?
    because I called one school and they said that it was ok that I took pre-requizites outside of the US, but they said nothing about wes evaluation.

6. Mikhail

Mikhail Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey,

I studied for two years in Russian and I got a bachelor's degree in the U.S.
    Downstate medical school in Brooklyn, NY, asked me to send my transcript with grades from Russia to World Education Services (wes.org) for course-by-course evaluation. WES is one of the most respected agencies for foreign documents evaluation. It may take you some time to go through this process because the agency will request a copy of your diploma with grades from England.

Good luck

Mikhail

7. goodluck2

goodluck2 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I had completed five years in former soviet union country, but I still had to complete most of pre-med in USA. I did not find a school that accept anything from former soviet union but these credits that you non-med college accepted.