Aug 5, 2016
Hi,
I'll apply for the diploma next April.
-I need some help with the best resources to study, which books should I read ?
(Bolognia Textbook / Andrews' Diseases of Skin / Dermatology Secrets Plus by Fitzpatrick / Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology / Harper's Textbook of Pediatric Dermatology / Lecture Notes Dermatology / Rook's Textbook )

-The official site of the diploma provides a syllabus, studying these topics only will be enough for passing exams ? or should I read more ?

-Regarding the 2nd day exam ( Cases, Reports, Instruments ), Is there any sources to read or watch to practice and be organized ?

Any other advice ? :D I'm little lost

Thanks in advance :)

asmallchild

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Hi,
I'll apply for the diploma next April.
-I need some help with the best resources to study, which books should I read ?
(Bolognia Textbook / Andrews' Diseases of Skin / Dermatology Secrets Plus by Fitzpatrick / Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology / Harper's Textbook of Pediatric Dermatology / Lecture Notes Dermatology / Rook's Textbook )

-The official site of the diploma provides a syllabus, studying these topics only will be enough for passing exams ? or should I read more ?

-Regarding the 2nd day exam ( Cases, Reports, Instruments ), Is there any sources to read or watch to practice and be organized ?

Any other advice ? :D I'm little lost

Thanks in advance :)
Most of the residents/attendings here are based in the US. You may want to consult someone in your country who has gone through this process before?

Are you a resident? Shouldn't you have read these books already?

OP
maw88
Aug 5, 2016
I'm a resident and I've read in these books but not all of them.
but I know no one in my area who gone through this diploma yet that why all the advises I get are just expectation

asmallchild

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I'm a resident and I've read in these books but not all of them.
but I know no one in my area who gone through this diploma yet that why all the advises I get are just expectation
Well, like I said, I don't know what to tell you since most of us are used to the American certification exam.

I like Bolognia's pictures and tables. It is a big text to go through so if you use that one, you'll need to start early.

Andrews has always been a popular one because of its brevity. I found it OK for review use. If you don't actually understand a lot of the disease concepts or basic science, you may find it to be too superficial.

I don't think it would hurt to use Derm Secrets but it probably isn't in-depth enough for a resident certification exam.

Any color atlas or photos will help.

It's been so long that I forgot what I used for pediatric dermatology but yes, you probably should review a textbook of pediatric derm.

Rook seems to be a popular name bandied about for studying but I never had a chance to review it.

In general, for US residents, my advice is that if you took residency seriously, that should be all you need to pass. It should be 3 years of learning in clinic, reading at home, and repeating ad nauseum. I think brushing up on all the items above is certainly helpful but if you are cramming now with the intention of learning the material for the first time, you are already running behind your peers (again, this is for the US certification exam. I am not sure how it works within your system)