Dipole-Dipole Stronger than Ion-Dipole

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supafield

Dream Big
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what I've managed to reason in my head.... but would someone correct me if I'm wrong... thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

supafield said:
This is what I've managed to reason in my head.... but would someone correct me if I'm wrong... thanks so much

im pretty sure the ion-dipole force will be stronger than the dipole-dipole force....ions have a totally + or - charge while dipoles only have partial + and - charges...therefore, anything involving ions have stronger forces

supafield said:

:scared: :scared: +pissed+

i think it is ions dipole that is stronger

now i am even more confused..............

mcat_study said:
:scared: :scared: +pissed+

i think it is ions dipole that is stronger

now i am even more confused..............

lol I apologize... I figure the ion would have a strong charge... but since it is inducing the charge in the second molecule (ex: a diatomic Chlorine) then the fact that the second molecule never had a charge to begin with would make the bond weaker.. as were in dipole dipole both have some charge on them....

but I could understand that since the ion has a full charge on it that the opposite is true.... lol so if anyone is certain on this one feel free to share...

Members don't see this ad :)
Non-Covalent Interactions

Ion-Ion is the strongest.
Ion-Dipole is stronger than a Dipole-Dipole.
Dipole-Dipole is next. (Such as hydrogen bonding)
Then you have the induced dipoles.

Ions have a huge charge polarity and are therefore the strongest. Induction of a nonpolar molecule to be partially charged will make a weaker interaction than two polar molecules interacting.

Some thoughts:

1. This WON'T be on the MCAT.
2. I think ion-dipole would be stronger. Like someone else said, a dipole only has a partial positive or negative charge. The interactions are just electrostatic attractions/repulsions, so by Coulomb's law (F = Kqq/r^2) the magnitude of the force will increase with the product of the magnitude of their charges.

Also, diatomic chlorine is not an ionic compound (it's not even polar) and does not undergo any strong intermolecular interactions.

Hydrogen bonding is the strongest of intermolecular forces between neutral molecules. So, they are stronger than dipole dipole. If the question of ion-dipole comes up...i'd say they are stronger than dipole dipole

Brandon81081 said:
Hydrogen bonding is the strongest of intermolecular forces between neutral molecules. So, they are stronger than dipole dipole. If the question of ion-dipole comes up...i'd say they are stronger than dipole dipole

??

Hydrogen bonding is a dipole-dipole interaction.

ADeadLois said:
??

Hydrogen bonding is a dipole-dipole interaction.

Oddly i was wandering this. Kaplan flash cards says it's NOT...they list the two as being separate intermolecular forces, as well as Prep-DVD's. But Princeton says they are the same.

The strength of ion-dipole increases with the following:

The greater the charge of the ion, the stronger the attraction

The greater the magnitude of the dipole, the stronger the attraction

The shorter the distance between the ion and the dipole, the stronger the attraction

The order in terms of strength are as follows:

Ion-Dipole > Dipole-Dipole/Hydrogen Bonding > Dipole-Induced Dipole > London Dispersion Forces

Hydrogen Bonding is considered to be an extreme form of dipole-dipole interactions.

I'm relieved to know this won't be on the test!

Brandon81081 said:
Oddly i was wandering this. Kaplan flash cards says it's NOT, as well as Prep-DVD's. But Princeton says it is. who's correct?

I don't think it really matters for the MCAT either way. Now that I think about it's often classified seperately, although the chemistry is similar to other dipole-dipole interactions. However, there's very little ambiguity with regards to what's a H-bond and what isn't. I wouldn't worry about it.

ADeadLois said:
I don't think it really matters for the MCAT either way. Now that I think about it's often classified seperately, although the chemistry is similar to other dipole-dipole interactions. However, there's very little ambiguity with regards to what's a H-bond and what isn't. I wouldn't worry about it.

You should understand Hydrogen bonding thoroughly. Its N, O, and F attached to Hydrogen that can cause it. Otherwise, I think you are right.

Kikaku21 said:
You should understand Hydrogen bonding thoroughly. Its N, O, and F attached to Hydrogen that can cause it. Otherwise, I think you are right.

I meant that the poster whouldn't worry about the difference b/w H-bonding and dipole-dipole.

I also remember that my chem book referred to hydrogen bonding as a form of dipole-dipole force. That's the one thign about chem that I disliked , one person says one thing and another one says something different. :rolleyes:

H bonding is a form of dipole-dipole, though a very strong one. The partial positive of H "bonds" with the partial negative of the more electronegative atom of another molecule (ie the Oxygen in H2O).
and ion-dipole would be stronger than dipole-dipole, imo.

Oddly i was wandering this. Kaplan flash cards says it's NOT...they list the two as being separate intermolecular forces, as well as Prep-DVD's. But Princeton says they are the same.

actually, I believe kaplan says LD/dipole-dipole are grouped as "Van der Waals" forces...

Non-Covalent Interactions

Ion-Ion is the strongest.
Ion-Dipole is stronger than a Dipole-Dipole.
Dipole-Dipole is next. (Such as hydrogen bonding)
Then you have the induced dipoles.

Ions have a huge charge polarity and are therefore the strongest. Induction of a nonpolar molecule to be partially charged will make a weaker interaction than two polar molecules interacting.

Ion-Ion is weak as **** in water though lol...depends on the dielectric constant of the medium.