direct care cardiac jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morri493

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted to get the opinions of some folks regarding direct care (i.e. non-supervisory) jobs in cardiac anesthesia. there really doesn't seem to be very many of these jobs that I can find and was wondering if they really do still exist - and if they do if people think that they will stay this way, or is a "care team approach" the fate for all of anesthesia? I'm in fellowship now, and love the idea of doing my own cases when im done, but it's darn near impossible to find places that offer direct care. I've talked to more practices that are 1:4 pump case supervision than direct care which seems surreal to me. I guess I was a bit naive thinking that there would be ample direct care opportunities upon completion of fellowship.
Anyways, does this still exist? do you think it will exist in 10 years? Do I just need to suck it up and realize that the care team model is what anesthesia is now? I'm not totally against supervising, I understand that most/all general cases will be supervising, I guess I just thought cardiac might be different due to acuity/echoing demands, etc. As always, greatly appreciate any input and feedback that you all can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I just wanted to get the opinions of some folks regarding direct care (i.e. non-supervisory) jobs in cardiac anesthesia. there really doesn't seem to be very many of these jobs that I can find and was wondering if they really do still exist - and if they do if people think that they will stay this way, or is a "care team approach" the fate for all of anesthesia? I'm in fellowship now, and love the idea of doing my own cases when im done, but it's darn near impossible to find places that offer direct care. I've talked to more practices that are 1:4 pump case supervision than direct care which seems surreal to me. I guess I was a bit naive thinking that there would be ample direct care opportunities upon completion of fellowship.
Anyways, does this still exist? do you think it will exist in 10 years? Do I just need to suck it up and realize that the care team model is what anesthesia is now? I'm not totally against supervising, I understand that most/all general cases will be supervising, I guess I just thought cardiac might be different due to acuity/echoing demands, etc. As always, greatly appreciate any input and feedback that you all can provide.
Focus on the west coast, and pockets of the Midwest. Yes these jobs are there.
What kind of call burden are you finding with these 1:4 jobs? Must be horrendous since even in a bigger group the cardiac docs are the only ones taking cardiac call.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Move west, or to indiana.

We do MD only in heart room and have no plans to change. Keep looking, broaden your geographic search.

Reactions: 1 user