Directed Study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmcasTrix

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I do a directed study with my PI, do they count as science letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools require letters from faculty who have taught you in the sciences. Is he teaching you in any capacity? What exactly is a directed study?

Most schools require letters from faculty who have taught you in the sciences. Is he teaching you in any capacity? What exactly is a directed study?
Research credit w/ him. Technically he is teaching me how to be a researcher hah.

Basically, I do research in two labs simultaneously. I've done credits with one of my PI's and was wondering if I could use them as a science faculty that has taught me (that way it applies for all schools). Also, if I also did research credit with my other PI, I'd be able to use them both to fulfill the requirement.

I basically go to a large school w/ very little science small classes and so I've never gotten close to any science professors. I also don't really have questions so I never really needed to go to office hours etc.

For my nonscience, I have plenty of faculty who love me so that's easy to fill.

Members don't see this ad :)
technically fulfills the req, so i dont see why not?

Research credit w/ him. Technically he is teaching me how to be a researcher hah.

Basically, I do research in two labs simultaneously. I've done credits with one of my PI's and was wondering if I could use them as a science faculty that has taught me (that way it applies for all schools). Also, if I also did research credit with my other PI, I'd be able to use them both to fulfill the requirement.

I basically go to a large school w/ very little science small classes and so I've never gotten close to any science professors. I also don't really have questions so I never really needed to go to office hours etc.

For my nonscience, I have plenty of faculty who love me so that's easy to fill.

Undoubtedly for your charming and genuine persona.

Good luck with your research.

If I do a directed study with my PI, do they count as science letter?
It can get tricky with some schools. Luckily the professor that I did Directed Study with also taught the genetics course I took. A few of the DO schools asked if he could write them an email explaining it. It was frustrating to keep asking him plus they kept my app on hold so I had to hound him. I would play it safe and pick another professor if possible. If not the go with them. I personally had trouble with this but then again it was only 2 or 3 schools out of a billion that I applied to lol

Undoubtedly for your charming and genuine persona.

Good luck with your research.
Clearly... The point is that I'm capable of interacting with them and building a relationship. But you'd rather focus on the negative connotation of being arrogant.

@LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn any help on this issue?

Clearly... The point is that I'm capable of interacting with them and building a relationship. But you'd rather focus on the negative connotation of being arrogant.

@LizzyM @Goro @gyngyn any help on this issue?

I never said you were arrogant.

But you just did.

Seriously though. Good luck.