Director of Admissions suggests...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by starplayer, Dec 19, 2001.

1. starplayer

starplayer Member
    7+ Year Member

hey everyone, i have been communicating with the Director of Admissions at a medical school who has suggested to me that IF i were to take supplemental courses (graduate) at their university this spring, it will increase my chances of gaining admission. I have already applied to this university's graduate program as a nondegree applicant, but the only thing is I would have to move to this other state and it would be a huge hassle (with no guarantee). I was wondering if the director of admissions has the power to make such a suggestion and if I do follow through with this suggestion, do you think that will really make a difference to the admissions committee? I have an interview at this school in a few weeks and it's the only school that I have heard from...any suggestions??
    -star

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This story sounds fishy to me. I can understand the dean's suggestion that additional coursework would improve your chances, but I can't think of any good reason why that coursework would have to be taken at a particular university. Before accepting the "offer", I would require a written commitment saying that I would definitely be offered admission if I completed the coursework.

4. ashasnarf

ashasnarf Member
    10+ Year Member

StarPlayer don't get suckered by the school. Most schools want to make more money, and they dupe applicants into going t o grad school at their institution. How sincere is the director of admissions, is he or she someone who you feel is trustworthy. Asher them for evidence of people who are in your similar predicament and who have been accepted as result of doing the extra work they reccomend. By the way what school is it, I might have interviewed there and can tell you how sincere they might be. Also tell me your MCAt and GPA so that I can tell you what other schools you should look at.

5. starplayer

starplayer Member
    7+ Year Member

I'd rather not disclose the name of the school just b/c i don't want to ruin my chances there...the director seems very trustworthy and very interested in seeing me admitted. This is my 3rd time applying to medical school and I'm willing to try anything, but I was wondering if anyone was presented with a similar suggestion or knows of anyone that has....it sounds good to me.
    Ranger Bob, I don't know how possible it would be to get a written agreement, although that would be awesome.
    -star

6. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

why do you want to go to this school so bad?

i dont trust any promises that direc of adm make. they dont make all the decision. their is a committee and who knows how your file will look to them next year or against better applicants next year. i would just be very plight and give the direc the nice speach about how it woul be very hard to move at this point.

also, if you apply next year it will be your 4rd time? I would for sure get it in writing before you move.

i've heard some crazy stories about ppl trying to get in, but nothing like this.

lots of things can happen until now and next year. dont put your all of your eggs in one bag.

7. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

8. mwilson

mwilson treo
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would go for it if you dig the school from the interview. I don't think that any school is so hard up for cash that they really care if one extra student takes a class or two there. Seems like all he's trying to gauge is how serious you are about going there which would clearly be demonstrated by you moving to that state and proving yourself to some of their profs. I don't see any reason to be suspicious that he has some ill intention behind his suggestion or that he won't be able to follow-up on it. He's the Director of Admissions not some admissions counselor!