Dishonesty in your applications

• I was not dishonest and I do not think others are.

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • I was not dishonest but I think others are.

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • I was dishonest but I don't think others are.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I was dishonest because I think others were also.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I was dishonest because it was much easier to be over the computer instead of to a person

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I was not dishonest even though I think it is easier over the computer

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I do not think having an online application system contributes to dishonesty

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I was not dishonest, but I do think others were because of an online application system

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • I was dishonest regardless of an online application system

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

GrumpyGus

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hi all!

I'm watching this fascinating documentary called Dis(honesty): The Truth About Lies (I highly recommend, it's a good watch on Netflix. No, I have no relation to it lol) and it brings up the point that people are much more likely to be dishonest due to couple factors with two being most pertinent to us premeds applying. 1) If they think others are doing it and it's the social norm, they themselves are much more likely to do it. 2) distance from the lie: the fact that we do the entirety of our application on the computer and not all interview in front of a person from the get-go puts distance between us and our dishonesty and we're more likely to be dishonest.

I put up an anonymous poll with some options and I'd love to see how people fair. If you have any suggestions of how I should change the poll, let me know (Can I even do that after posting? idk). Choose one option in each category, so from the first 4 pick one, from the last 5 pick one.

OP
GrumpyGus

GrumpyGus

2+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I have a hard time believing my life actually happened the way it did so I always feel like I'm being dishonest even though I know I'm not.

Where's that option?
lol that's just being honest.

Mar 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a hard time believing my life actually happened the way it did so I always feel like I'm being dishonest even though I know I'm not.

Where's that option?
I'd have to agree with you there. My ECs look too good to be true and I feel dishonest even though I'm not.