Disabilities and the interview process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Born2rumble1st

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I searched through the forum and couldn't find anything on how people dealt with disabilities during the interview process. I'm hearing impaired and have recently gotten my first phone interview. I HATE phone interviews because I have a terrible time understanding people over the phone. (I'm a great lip-reader!) I worry that I didn't hear the question correctly, or, when I don't hear the question at all, that I've offended someone by asking them to repeat their questions too many times. In an ideal world, this shouldn't make a difference in whether I'm accepted at a school, but we all know that we don't live in an ideal world. :) And, particularly with clinical psychology programs, the process is so competitive everything is important! So, has anyone had this situation? And what steps did you take to address it? At what point did you disclose your disability? Any suggestions on how to do so in my particular situation?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you I would begin the interview or send an email disclosing the disability so that it cannot be misconstrued improperly if you ask the interviewer to repeat a question. You might even add that you are a great lip reader but phone conversations are challenging.

You could ask one of your mentors at school what they believe you should do about the situation.

If I were you I would begin the interview or send an email disclosing the disability so that it cannot be misconstrued improperly if you ask the interviewer to repeat a question. You might even add that you are a great lip reader but phone conversations are challenging.

You could ask one of your mentors at school what they believe you should do about the situation.

Good Advice. I second it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would a skype interview be better for you or not? I'm asking because I know I had some schools last year that suggested/preferred those instead of traditional phone interviews. It probably varies greatly by school or POI, but it may be worth asking.

Congratulations on your interview! If I were you (and it is financially possible), I would notify them and request an in-person interview so you can demonstrate your lip reading skills in the interview (like everything about the admissions process, you'll want to demonstrate your strengths and best position yourself to shine).

You may find this article, which I just happened to read recently, interesting:
http://www.rit.edu/ntid/hccd/sites/default/files/An Open Letter to Training Directors.pdf

I'm leaning towards opening the phone conversation with a disclaimer as to my level of hearing, but those conversations are always so awkward. And it really is hit or miss with me. If you have the right voice pitch, I can hear you perfectly, but if you don't it's like I'm completely deaf. Every unknown person is like russian roulette! :D

Unfortunately, I'm out of school right now and even when I was in school, my professors were generally not useful in this area. I think it's hard for someone who doesn't have a disability to really understand the level of discrimination out there (most of it benign). And for graduate admissions all it really takes is the prof thinking, "I don't really want to deal with this; it's too difficult." or "It would just be easier to accept X."

Would a skype interview be better for you or not? I'm asking because I know I had some schools last year that suggested/preferred those instead of traditional phone interviews. It probably varies greatly by school or POI, but it may be worth asking.

That's actually a great idea! It wasn't suggested in the email setting up the phone interview but I might suggest it myself. It's always easier for me to understand people when I can see their face. However, the last time I used Skype it seemed to break up a lot (which of course caused it's own set of difficulties in understanding people). Did you have this problem when doing interviews?

Congratulations on your interview! If I were you (and it is financially possible), I would notify them and request an in-person interview so you can demonstrate your lip reading skills in the interview (like everything about the admissions process, you'll want to demonstrate your strengths and best position yourself to shine).

You may find this article, which I just happened to read recently, interesting:
http://www.rit.edu/ntid/hccd/sites/default/files/An Open Letter to Training Directors.pdf

I definitely prefer in person interviews, but I believe this is a type of pre-interview used to determine who they will invite for the in person interview. So, I would feel really awkward asking to meet in person.

That article is really interesting! Though very depressing as well.... I guess I know what I have to look forward if I do manage to get into graduate school and go through the MATCH process. Luckily, I don't require an interpreter!

That article is really interesting! Though very depressing as well.... I guess I know what I have to look forward if I do manage to get into graduate school and go through the MATCH process. Luckily, I don't require an interpreter!

Yeah, I'm sorry that it is depressing :(

Yeah, I'm sorry that it is depressing :(

Indeed, it is depressing. I hope that you don't face this same kind of discrimination when going through the application process. Best of luck to you!

I'm leaning towards opening the phone conversation with a disclaimer as to my level of hearing, but those conversations are always so awkward. And it really is hit or miss with me. If you have the right voice pitch, I can hear you perfectly, but if you don't it's like I'm completely deaf. Every unknown person is like russian roulette! :D

Unfortunately, I'm out of school right now and even when I was in school, my professors were generally not useful in this area. I think it's hard for someone who doesn't have a disability to really understand the level of discrimination out there (most of it benign). And for graduate admissions all it really takes is the prof thinking, "I don't really want to deal with this; it's too difficult." or "It would just be easier to accept X."

That's actually a great idea! It wasn't suggested in the email setting up the phone interview but I might suggest it myself. It's always easier for me to understand people when I can see their face. However, the last time I used Skype it seemed to break up a lot (which of course caused it's own set of difficulties in understanding people). Did you have this problem when doing interviews?

I definitely prefer in person interviews, but I believe this is a type of pre-interview used to determine who they will invite for the in person interview. So, I would feel really awkward asking to meet in person.

I actually didn't do any Skype interviews, so I can't speak from experience on that. Sorry.

As someone with a physical disability (very visible, so once you meet me in person, disclosing isn't really a choice), I was concerned about it working against me. I disclosed it briefly in my SOP, only because my research interests are related to disability, and I know at least one of my LOR writers mentioned it. In the end, I received a lot of invites and multiple offers, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least a bit of a negative at some programs. From looking at the APPIC stats, there really aren't many people with disabilities (especially physical or sensory disabilities) going through Match, so that should be interesting (...and nerve-wrecking ;) ).

Anyway, good luck to you! :luck:

As a person who also deals with a disability, I understand your hesitation in wanting to disclose. Mine is a bit more invisible-I have Rheumatoid Arthritis-so sometimes I look completely normal and then other times I walk like a cripple.

I've worked very hard to get where I am today-as I'm sure you have as well. I think when it interferes with something SO important like a phone interview, you should say something right away. I also think, if I were you, I might contact the school you had an interview with already, if they are unaware of your situation. It's so competitive and you have to make sure they have the right view of you!

Also-I agree with the Skype idea! It's SUCH a great resource!