Disability Insurance for EM (are people still against NWM?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

da8s0859q

Okay, so for years, the bottom line on SDN was:

- Get disability insurance;
- Get a respectable amount of it (~$10k indemnity, plus or minus a few grand);
- Get it from one of only a few companies -- Guardian/Berkshire, Principal, Northwestern Mutual, so forth.

For a long time, and in many threads I've already read, there was a palpable bias against Northwestern Mutual and their "medical own occupation" and so forth.

I've seen the White Coat Investor's blog posts about this sort of thing from recent years (love your work, when you see this).

I have an active policy with Guardian/Berkshire. Not a huge policy. I'm in my first year out of residency.

Right now, in mid-2016, with changes that have happened over the last couple years since some of the better breakdowns were posted, is there any solid reason to GO with any given company, or to AVOID any given company -- including NWM?

Members don't see this ad.

There's an insurance broker that posts sometimes - Scott from Colorado, but I don't recall his username. He posted something about one of the companies getting out of the disability business. Search (!) for disability in this forum, and you should find many recent posts.

I'm not a fan of NML, not only because I see their DI policy as a little bit inferior, but also because of the way their inexperienced agents push whole life. So I put them on my "avoid" list, but any DI is better than no DI.

Metlife is done with DI as of the end of this month. They'll service policies they've already sold, but aren't selling more.

For emergency docs, most have Principal, Guardian, or Standard in my experience. I'd at least look at those 3, or rather have your independent insurance agent earn his commission by showing you the differences between those 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is with mass mutual. Just to give you another option besides the ones listed above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is with mass mutual. Just to give you another option besides the ones listed above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also one of the "big six" companies and a reasonable option. I find that not many emergency docs take it though when they see all the options. Doesn't mean it wasn't the best option in your situation. That's why you need an independent agent who can help you look at all the options.