Disabled Pre-med student....what specialties should I consider

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterflyrose83

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have degenerative disc disease (diagnosed at 18, symptoms started at 14) and I have undergone 4 microdiscetomies and I now have an intrathecal infusion pump implanted. I was an RN and am now finishing my bachelor's degree in pre-med (biology). Because of the disc herniation and scar tissue from multiple surgeries, I have permanent weakness in my left leg and very little feeling in my left hip and foot. At times, I do need to use a wheelchair but most of the time I am ambulatory. I know that pretty much any surgeon is out of the question; even though I love surgery. I've narrowed down a few options for specialties but I was wondering what everybody else's advice may be. I have thought about anesthesiology, psychiatry (not a favorite though) and radiology. I prefer specialties that have direct patient care though. Peds and OB/GYN are both off the list completely.

Members don't see this ad.

I have degenerative disc disease (diagnosed at 18, symptoms started at 14) and I have undergone 4 microdiscetomies and I now have an intrathecal infusion pump implanted. I was an RN and am now finishing my bachelor's degree in pre-med (biology). Because of the disc herniation and scar tissue from multiple surgeries, I have permanent weakness in my left leg and very little feeling in my left hip and foot. At times, I do need to use a wheelchair but most of the time I am ambulatory. I know that pretty much any surgeon is out of the question; even though I love surgery. I've narrowed down a few options for specialties but I was wondering what everybody else's advice may be. I have thought about anesthesiology, psychiatry (not a favorite though) and radiology. I prefer specialties that have direct patient care though. Peds and OB/GYN are both off the list completely.
You will need to check the technical standards at each of the schools to which you plan to apply. One needs to be able to complete all clerkships with reasonable accommodation in order to matriculate (without regard to specialty choice).

Reactions: 1 users
psych...if you can't stand to do a physical exam almost everything else is off the table....and I don't mean stand today, I mean always be able to stand as long as you are working age

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd be perfect in any research field. If you want lots of clinical work though you could do IM or any of its sub specialties. Look into fields that require more thinking and less procedures.

You'd be perfect in any research field. If you want lots of clinical work though you could do IM or any of its sub specialties. Look into fields that require more thinking and less procedures.

I hadn't thought too much about research....definitely something I will look into

Reactions: 1 user
Ophtho? Surgical field, but at least the surgeries I've seen, the surgeons are sitting down.
I was gonna say hand/upper extremity or microsurgery, but you need to do the regular ortho residency. :/

You can also get into a hand fellowship via plastics or gen surg residencies. Still probably won't help the OP though. :/
Yeah, was gonna say that too.

OP, what about FM, IM, anesthesiology (lots of sitting ;)), or any other medical specialty?

Last edited:
Your disability doesent sound anywhere near as bad as this person http://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...-to-be-doctor-comes-true/stories/201305190253. They seemed to of hired assistants so perhaps you could do the same for physical exams with peds/general IM. I agree surgery is out of the question but I don't see a problem with most other things if you can get someone to help you out.

It helps to go to a very accommodating school :) and I believe she would try to hire pre-meds as assistants so they could get some experience in addition to helping her.

I also think you would be fine for some specialties, especially if you had assistants. Dr. House did pretty good with only one good leg :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I also think you would be fine for some specialties, especially if you had assistants. Dr. House did pretty good with only one good leg :)

He would have done better if he held his cane in the correct hand.

Reactions: 2 users
Vicodin is a hell of a drug. ;)

Anesthesiology is number 1 on my list, not just because of the ability to sit but also because I can specialize in pain management and help others like me. I'm less sure about FM/IM just because I tend to get bored easily. This is not to say that they aren't great specialties for the right person, just not for me. I have also considered emergency medicine but I'm not sure if I could physically handle it. Because of my background as an RN, I've seen quite a few specialties (neurosurgery being my favorite but on the unattainable list) but I'm in the process of beginning to shadow physicians to get a look at other specialties too.

He would have done better if he held his cane in the correct hand.
That was one of the first things I noticed when I watched House. My bf says I watch medical shows like guys watch football...I'm constantly yelling at the TV about what they are doing wrong

anesthesiology would be rough; although we shouldn't discriminate against anyone, realistically the field is very physical and someone in a wheel chair is not going to be able to do it. Intubating, central lines, epidurals, etc all require you to get in positions that might not be comfortable even more a young/strong/flexible person.

Ehh, not really, lol
Since you know what drugs are good, lol, maybe do take anesthesia into consideration as a specialty. Like I mentioned there is lots of seating and you could still have good patient interaction.

They do microdiscectomies for DDD? Is that the equivalent of putting in Harrington rods in this day and age?

Sorry to hear about what you've gone through. Good luck in your endeavors.

Last edited:
Anesthesiology is number 1 on my list, not just because of the ability to sit but also because I can specialize in pain management and help others like me. I'm less sure about FM/IM just because I tend to get bored easily. This is not to say that they aren't great specialties for the right person, just not for me. I have also considered emergency medicine but I'm not sure if I could physically handle it. Because of my background as an RN, I've seen quite a few specialties (neurosurgery being my favorite but on the unattainable list) but I'm in the process of beginning to shadow physicians to get a look at other specialties too.

Honestly, I think emergency med might be tough for you. Have you looked into PM&R (physical medicine and rehabilitation aka physiatry) though? If you want to help with pain management, there's a lot you can do in that field. Here's a link with some basic info on it:

http://www.aapmr.org/patients/aboutpmr/pages/faqs.aspx

Reactions: 1 user
psych...if you can't stand to do a physical exam almost everything else is off the table....and I don't mean stand today, I mean always be able to stand as long as you are working age
ehh off the top of my head my institution has a neurologist and an ID doc that are wheelchair bound, so accommodations can clearly be made.

ehh off the top of my head my institution has a neurologist and an ID doc that are wheelchair bound, so accommodations can clearly be made.
I think there is a difference between finding a job as a doc that becomes disablef and finding a program when already disabled. Many places specifically require certain abilities

Diagnostic rads is very much a seated/office/desk job. You could consider that.

I have seen some orthopedic type surgeons, especially with regards to hand and feel, be able to perform their surgeries while sitting. I think some of the IM specialties might work as well, such as psychiatry and neurology.

I have seen some orthopedic type surgeons, especially with regards to hand and feel, be able to perform their surgeries while sitting. I think some of the IM specialties might work as well, such as psychiatry and neurology.

Yes but you have to get through a whole ortho (or plastics) residency to get to a hand fellowship. Both are very physically demanding.

Yes but you have to get through a whole ortho (or plastics) residency to get to a hand fellowship. Both are very physically demanding.

Ah, yes. I completely forgot about that for some reason. You need to get through the general pathway before you could specialize.. Maybe stay closer to an IM specialty then?

I think there is a difference between finding a job as a doc that becomes disablef and finding a program when already disabled. Many places specifically require certain abilities
I was responding to you saying that one must be able to stand to do a physical exam. Obviously it will be more difficult for a disabled resident to find a job when compared to someone without major technical limitations, whether or not that should be the case.