Disadvantage for filling out FAFSA in 2020?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

little_giant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that applicants can start filling out the FAFSA earlier starting in October, is there any disadvantage in filling out the FAFSA sometime in January or even February? I think I remember reading somewhere that for schools that provide scholarships, filling it out later could mean not a lower chance of receiving the grant because they already gave it to other applicants. But in the case where the school releases financial aid decisions in lets say March, would this be the case as well?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly don’t think so, but seeing as you can fill it out now, just do it.

I didn’t have to fill out the parent section of FAFSA (independent, 26 y/o) and it got approved Friday the week I completed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
For one school I interviewed at (state school) they said they have limited need-based aid and that filling out the FAFSA as early as possible is important, even if you get accepted off the waitlist

If you have your tax returns, it takes literally 10 min max (granted I didn’t fill out the parent section)

What is your reason for waiting?
I'm still in school right now! I would have the opportunity to fill it out during this thanksgiving break but I have to fill out the parental section so it will take some time.

I'll have tons of time after I graduate in December/January to do it so I was trying to see if I should bother my parents during this holiday season or not x.x

For one school I interviewed at (state school) they said they have limited need-based aid and that filling out the FAFSA as early as possible is important, even if you get accepted off the waitlist
Do you think this would be the same if I don't have an acceptance yet? I am currently waiting on some interviews from weeks ago

Do you think this would be the same if I don't have an acceptance yet? I am currently waiting on some interviews from weeks ago
Yes, to the best of my knowledge. The school said they consider aid by the date the FAFSA is submitted even if you were admitted later -- but this might not be generalizable

So, do it ASAP. This is reason enough. It shouldn’t take too long if you filled it out last year. At the very least, submit it without the parental info for now. Bug your parents for their old taxes. I’m sure they won’t mind AND sometimes it takes asking them more than once to get the info lol.

Edit: opps, I thought I was replying to the OP. But, OP, still do your FASFA now.

I didn’t have to fill out the parent section of FAFSA (independent, 26 y/o) and it got approved Friday the week I completed it.
I was under the impression that regardless of living situation you need to fill out the parental information section in order to be considered for school specific aid

Reactions: 1 users
Can applicants still be considered for merit scholarships if they don't apply for financial aid/FAFSA?

I was under the impression that regardless of living situation you need to fill out the parental information section in order to be considered for school specific aid

For many schools it is a requirement.

Something I learned is that when filling out the FAFSA (obviously the sooner the better) it is best to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool as many schools will require additional documents mailed to them if you do not use this tool for yours and your parent's tax records.

Also just go ahead and include parental tax info (although optional) to qualify for need-based scholarships regardless of independent status (as a graduate student you are automatically considered independent anyway). In a vast majority of cases schools will not offer this type of aid unless you have parental info.

I’ve seen nothing about it on the websites of the schools I have been admitted too. Will call later to see whatsup. I’m def not getting any merit based scholarships though LOL

I’ve seen nothing about it on the websites of the schools I have been admitted too. Will call later to see whatsup. I’m def not getting any merit based scholarships though LOL
def check because as far as i know they require your parental info before they send merit and needs based aid

Reactions: 1 users
I’m ~30, have been financially independent for about a decade, and still have to provide parental information for most schools! Unfortunately only a few schools will consider us independent for financial aid purposes. It’s better to provide it and the few schools that don’t need it can just ignore it.

I’m ~30, have been financially independent for about a decade, and still have to provide parental information for most schools! Unfortunately only a few schools will consider us independent for financial aid purposes. It’s better to provide it and the few schools that don’t need it can just ignore it.
If they ask, I will provide. If I have to provide my parents financial aid, I'll probably just decline any aid cause I'm not going to get any I guess (parents are both physicians).