Disadvantage for taking two years off for residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beatsbydre

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is any disadvantage of taking two years off between 2nd and 3rd year of medical school. Both years would be for research.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, why can't you do research while in school? If its too much work, the TWO years will not be a advantage for you, unless you cure cancer.

I'm wondering if there is any disadvantage of taking two years off between 2nd and 3rd year of medical school. Both years would be for research.

Thanks!
Make sure they are productive. If so, you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, why can't you do research while in school? If its too much work, the TWO years will not be a advantage for you, unless you cure cancer.

this is false. OP, I think it depends on several factors: 1. what tier med school you go to; 2. what field you want to pursue; 3. what your board scores are; 4. where you want to match/career goals; and 5. the productivity of your research.

Generally the lower tier your school is, the more competitive the residency field/program you want to apply to, and the lower your board scores... the more research years will help you (many people at my school are getting their MSCR or whatever that degree is called). This stuff makes you more competitive.

Now if you are doing peds with the intent of just doing outpatient private practice then avoid research like the plague. But if you want to do a surgical field then research in that field will help you greatly. Also if your career goal is to be in academic medicine then research in med school will be an asset (if only to help you do it more in the future).

I would just caution you to pick the right projects because there are lots that don't really go anywhere. Go and work at a lab with high output.

Pick the right lab, be productive.

Any specific reason you want to plan for 2 years off rather than just 1? I never thought about taking 2 years off from med school to do research... I feel like I would almost be better off doing a PhD at that point. Maybe.

Pick the right lab, be productive.

Any specific reason you want to plan for 2 years off rather than just 1? I never thought about taking 2 years off from med school to do research... I feel like I would almost be better off doing a PhD at that point. Maybe.

1 year is relatively common. 2 years is a pretty big gap and you'd be expected to come up with something a bit more substantial in terms of research, publications, maybe even grants. I'd also worry a bit about forgetting your second year knowledge before getting pimped on it on the wards.

1 year is relatively common. 2 years is a pretty big gap and you'd be expected to come up with something a bit more substantial in terms of research, publications, maybe even grants. I'd also worry a bit about forgetting your second year knowledge before getting pimped on it on the wards.

Fully agreed. If I didn't have Step 1 knowledge, I'd probably have done significantly worse on my first MS3 rotation, IM.