Disadvantage if apply next year with old MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedSox143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone think if we apply next year having taken the MCAT in 2014 that we will Be disadvantaged compared to those who applied with 2015 MCAT next year? (For 2016 matriculation)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd argue it's a slight advantage since people aren't likely going to score as well on the new exam due to a lack of resources and a lack of knowledge about what to expect.

A lot of people will be in your shoes.. There is not disadvantage, I've called a lot of schools. If that was the case it would be apparent on the AAMC website and schools would mention that on their pages as well. You can also call particular schools if you want 100% reassurance.

Good question, I personally think people taking with the new MCAT would have advantages due to the reasons starlite911 mentioned. But I have to disagreed that people with the old MCAT would have any advantages, because as a bigger picture new MCAT people would have more advantage meaning it would be easier for them getting in while the old MCAT people would have less chances because less seats would be open. This won't take affect though until probably 2016 cycle because I think most people that's applying next cycle are trying to take the old one before the new MCAT. But even with the new MCAT you would have to probably be scoring above probably at least 85% from the rest of the test takers to have that new MCAT advantages (whatever that will be). that's just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work within the Harvard medical system here in Cambridge and thankfully multiple people have confirmed there is absolutely no advantage given to MCAT 2015 testers and that MCAT is good for 3 years regardless. However, I would argue that a "standardized" test's value lies in it being standardized and if there are two completely different versions, how will adcoms be able to make an objective decision, especially those that weigh these tests as very important.

I've heard only Duke and Indiana are being difficult with this topic, it's really not fair to testers but I was assured to day that essentially every school accepts MCAT scores for 3 years.