Disadvantage of never taking anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagentaKarma

Medical Student (Accepted)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did my undergrad at a school where anatomy course seats were only reserved for nursing students. Will I be at a severe disadvantage coming into medical school? I ask because at the schools I toured at for interviews, the course material that they were learning already seemed overwhelming to me even though I was a biochem major with a good GPA. I also feel that with students who have nursing/PA backgrounds, I may already be behind. Not to mention that I met students, with physician parents, at the interviews who already knew a bunch of anatomical terms. That freaked me out as well. Should I try to learn anatomy casually before beginning medical school? I have taken physiology and I am not sure how anatomy compares to this course.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if I casually self study over the summer? Would you recommend that?

Also, how similar to physiology is anatomy?

moving to preallo

It's not at all necessary to take anatomy in undergrad. Anatomy and physiology are related (obviously) but very different in approach.

Please do not self-study over the summer.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, how similar to physiology is anatomy?

They're two entirely different fields/departments in most schools. Physio ranges from macro to micro perspectives and understanding the systematic changes and processes that occur due to changes. Anatomy is a bit more specific to morphology and though it can involve structure and function, is usually limited to whichever area it is located (especially in limb anatomy). It's a lot drier IMO.

As someone who did not take a single anatomy course (thanks for not offering one UCSD), I can say you will be OKAY. You'll survive. Enjoy your free time right now.

Reactions: 1 user
i haven't taking it yet either - hopefully it doesnt hurt me when i do anatomy

Try maybe taking it at a CC, if that is out of the question do not worry about it. It is helpful but not required. However, I have been told by multiple students to not study anything the summer before starting

If you're asking whether the physiology background will help in anatomy, the answer is no. It's actually vice versa.

If you're asking whether you're at a huge disadvantage because you have not taken anatomy, the answer is no.

If you're asking whether you should casually review anatomy, the answer is completely up to you. Either way, it won't make a huge difference.

Getting schooled in basic anatomy by all the pre-PT kids :bored:

No disadvantage. I made it to MS4 without having taken anatomy before med school, and when I did take it, it crushed everyone's soul equally, regardless of previous anatomy experience. :)

But really, I did just fine.

i took honors anatomy in high school....

disadvantage: u might, maybe, perhaps, take a couple more hours to study a week compared to the machine in your class who somehow remembered everything from undergrad anatomy.

advantage: you get to take literally anything else that you might never have another chance to learn about in a classroom setting.

What if I casually self study over the summer? Would you recommend that?

You know what you need to do?
Drink a beer, or some vodka.
Go plan a vacation
Go relaxing...
Travel the world
Sleep A LOT
Don't worry about med school