1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Disadvantage Status - Low Income ?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Sammmeyeam, May 13, 2001.

1. Sammmeyeam

Sammmeyeam Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

if someone declares disadvantage status due to low income, you guys think schools will reject the applicant thinking that the applicant can not afford to go to their school? - isn't this discrimination?

Thanx

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. puffy1

puffy1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This is not the case, because if it were, then multiple people would not apply to medical school, and AMCAS doesn't want that to happen.

If you are disadvantaged (economically), it won't affect whether or not you get into medical school, but it will affect what kind of financial aid package you may get.

4. Halaljello

Halaljello Hot Oil
    10+ Year Member

How do you know if you are "disadvantaged" due to low income? Is there an income cut off? Damn, i think im gonna spend at least 700 just for my primaries...

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

The lack of guidelines has made this whole section a very frustrating experience. I am very tempted to just skip it and hope for the best. They really should have given at least some hint of what would qualify. My main problem is this, by whose standards should we go? I posted my situation on another thread and most said that they'd put in for disadvantaged status. That said, I actually had many advantages over so many others. I mean, somebody's always had it tougher, right?