Disadvantage Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
;;

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,
I had a question about the dis advantage section. For the question that asks how you supported your education, how important is it to complete this section? My parents did not contribute anything, but I am not sure about the exact %s of the rest. Is it ok to leave this portion blank since it is not required? thanks
no dont leave it blank. you dont need exact numbers, but you should be able to make an estimate...otherwise, they might think youre hiding something...rough estimates is fine.

Don't recall a section like that on the AMCAS. Perhaps this is new?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes it is new and thanks for the responses.

I had another question, if AMCAS is automatically classifying that the area I lived in as a (U) for underserved should I say yes for the question that asks: Do you believe that this area was medically under-served? Or what is this really asking specifically? Thanks

yes it is new and thanks for the responses.

I had another question, if AMCAS is automatically classifying that the area I lived in as a (U) for underserved should I say yes for the question that asks: Do you believe that this area was medically under-served? Or what is this really asking specifically? Thanks

You should know if your area is medically underserved or not. If yes, then check yes.

Hi,
I had a question about the dis advantage section. For the question that asks how you supported your education, how important is it to complete this section? My parents did not contribute anything, but I am not sure about the exact %s of the rest. Is it ok to leave this portion blank since it is not required? thanks

Make an educated guess. They ask for % so you should be able to ballpark how much was loans/grants/merit scholarships/your $, etc.

As for the underserved.... the U indicates that some parts of your county are underserved. Did you feel underserved growing up -- hard to find a doc who would see you and your family?

What they are getting at here is the hope that disadvantaged "kids" from underserved areas will go back "home" and serve their childhood community. Of course, some of us couldn't wait to get out of Dodge but if anyone is going to go back it is likely to be someone who knows the place and has the heart to serve its people.